Microchip Microstick PIC24H

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

KevinH

Microchip Microstick PIC24H

Post by KevinH »

Does the PIC16 support the Microstick?
I have the PIC24H selected in Matrix, but not sure if it can support the on board programmer?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Microchip Microstick PIC24H

Post by Benj »

Hello Kevin,

Yes Flowcode will generate code compatible with the Microstick though you might have to edit the device linker file to allow the memory to be shifted and allow the bootloader to function. The demo code / documentation should show you how to do this if it's necessary.

You then should be able to program your Hex file to the device using MPLAB or command line software via Flowcode if Microchip have released a stand alone way of programming for the microstick.

KevinH

Post by KevinH »

Thanks Benj,

I used Microchip ICD back with V4 ( I think), but would like to update my chip programming options.

Currently I have V6 Pro for PIC16 as this seemed the sensible next step from the PIC options, however I'm now thinking that perhaps the AVR might have been a better option.
Assuming I go to AVR as well what would you suggest is the best chip programming option.
I'm looking for something nice and simple that is integral with Flowcode.

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi Kevin
is there a pdf anywhere explaining the command line programming options, as benj said the offset will need to be set so that you dont overwrite the bootlader etc, so if command line options are available then you should be able to prog from flowcode
Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The 16-bit PICs are more on a par with the AVR devices but the EP range of dsPIC33 and PIC24 are pretty amazing and blow AVRs out the water. These are currently my device of choice but there are some PIC32 devices coming out soon which look even better and have High Speed USB (480Mbps) compared to Full Speed (12Mbps) on the current PICs.

To program AVR I usually use the standard 6-pin ICSP header to allow the AVRISP mkII to work. This works with Flowcode unless you have the latest AVR studio installed in which case this does something strange and stops Flowcode being able to re-program directly without manually going via AVR studio. Really need to bottom this issue. Have a look at our EB019 AVR board datasheet for a schematic.

AVR is very much embraced by the open source community e.g. reprap but for me I prefer the PICs for simplicity and the fact you can do bits of assembler etc. The reason AVR got there first is that they have a free fully featured C compiler which is why Arduino chose this platform.

KevinH

Post by KevinH »

Thanks Benj,

Nice reply.
Perhaps with a statement like
"but the EP range of dsPIC33 and PIC24 are pretty amazing and blow AVRs out the water."
I should stay with the PIC for now.....
If I do, does the http://www.mikroe.com/pic32/programmers-debuggers/ work directly with Flowcode? Or what would you recommend?
Is there a link or document that list ICP that work with Flowcode?

I like your explanation
"AVR is very much embraced by the open source community e.g. reprap but for me I prefer the PICs for simplicity and the fact you can do bits of assembler etc. The reason AVR got there first is that they have a free fully featured C compiler which is why Arduino chose this platform."
, it was to link in with the Open Source community that I was considering going to AVR, but I would really like to choose a family and standardise on that for the future.

A bit of background regarding microcontrollers, at present I am a master of none!
I used to be good with the NSC800, Z80, 6502, 68705 (really liked the 68xx assembly code) and then only played with the PICs from the early days and then '677 etc., and then moved on to the mBed 1768 which is a great little module with lots of functionality, but now also want to get back to the chip level.

So assuming for now I stay with the PIC family (and Flowcode of course!) is there a nice ISP/debugger that interfaces directly with Flowcode PIC16?

edit - just thought about PICkit 3, that could be a nice solution?