PIC programing and ICD options

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

KevinH

PIC programing and ICD options

Post by KevinH »

Hi,
I'm new here and a little confused with debugging and programming options.

I have Flowcode V6 PIC16 PRO and looking to start with some of the faster advanced Microchip parts, so the broad question is what ICD/programmer works well with Flowcode?

If I launch Flowcode and choose a 24EP128GP202, then go to debug, the only option I see in ICD options is use EB006V9 ICD, but if I look at the product data sheet it doesn't list that chip as an option!

Do the options get expanded as products and their drivers are installed?

If I choose a Microhip ICD V3, do I also require the installation of MPLAB X or are the drivers available in Flowcode?

How about the Pickit 3, seems a cheaper option if it works, but what features are lost with this option?

Any help, advice and opinions is appreciated to get me to this next step!
For now I'll try to learn Flowcode itself......

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: PIC programing and ICD options

Post by Benj »

Hello,

A PICkit 3 will work well to program devices in the PIC range. You won't be able to use the ICD/ICT features in Flowcode 5/6 but you will be able to program devices that are not supported by the EB006 and EB064 boards and SMD devices if you have your own PCB with a PICkit compatible ICSP header.

If your using Flowcode 6 then the Flowcode 6 Wiki has details about how to setup the PICkit 3 via the compiler options window.
http://www.matrixtsl.com/wiki/index.php ... ming_Tools

KevinH

Post by KevinH »

Hi Benj,

Thanks for prompt reply. You said " You won't be able to use the ICD/ICT features in Flowcode 5/6 but you will be able to program devices that are not supported by the EB006 and EB064 boards and SMD devices ".

Is there a solution that will use the ICD/ICT features in Flowcode 5/6?

I think that will be my ideal solution.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Kevin the only way you can use ICD with Flowcode V5/V6 is to either use a EB006 programmer, or a Flowkit

Martin.
Martin