Raspberry Pi Slideshow using Matrix TSL ECIO40P

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

SlideShow-Fella

Raspberry Pi Slideshow using Matrix TSL ECIO40P

Post by SlideShow-Fella »

Dear Yodas and ObiWons,

There is an instructable on instructables.com on how to create a Raspberry Pi slideshow. (Fyi: the url is here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Ra ... /?ALLSTEPS)

The Raspberry Pi will time out eventually (after 720, whatever that means) and the screen will go blank. The author of the instructable recommends that a Matrix TSL ECIO40P would prevent the system blank out. His words: "For a permanent display without interaction you could use an embedded USB microcontroller to simulate mouse movement every few hours to ensure screen blanking doesn’t kick in. Using Flowcode and a device such as a MatrixTSL ECIO40P this would be a 5 minute job".

I have looked online, and can not find how to use Flowcode to simulate a mouse wiggle every few hours. I would greatly appreciate your wisdom on this. Please be specific as I am a complete Flowcode newbie.

Also (another dumb question), but will the USB microcontroller/Flowcode keep the wiggle going for several years? And what happens if there is a power failure?

Thanks much!!

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Raspberry Pi Slideshow using Matrix TSL ECIO40P

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Glad you liked the Instructable :D

Please find attached a Flowcode program to do a mouse wiggle every 4 mins.
USB_HID_Mouse.fcfx
(6.73 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Also attached is a hex file you can load directly onto an ECIO28P using the ECIO Programming software available from the link below, You can also purchase the ECIO28P via the link below.
USB_HID_Mouse.hex
(9.8 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
http://www.matrixtsl.com/product.php?Prod=ECIO28P

Just program up the ECIO on a Windows machine via it's USB connection and then use the same USB connection to connect to your PI as a mouse. The hex file is the output of the Flowcode project.
The Raspberry Pi will time out eventually (after 720, whatever that means)
720 is the time in minutes, essentially 12 hours.
Also (another dumb question), but will the USB microcontroller/Flowcode keep the wiggle going for several years? And what happens if there is a power failure?
Yes the ECIO will continue to wiggle the mouse for as long as it is powered.

If the power fails then the PI will go off, when the power is resumed the PI should boot up again automatically and the ECIO will resume it's wiggling operation. You might want to use a UPS to keep the PI powered if the unit needs to continue functioning. Killing power to the PI can sometimes corrupt the memory card but from my experience you are usually ok.

There may be a way of doing the same thing on the PI using only software but it may not be as reliable.

SlideShow-Fella

Post by SlideShow-Fella »

Thank you very, very much! You are awesome! I will try your solution in the next few weeks...

ChesterKi

Post by ChesterKi »

SlideShow-Fella wrote:Thank you very, very much! You are awesome! I will try your solution in the next few weeks...
Did you get it working?
I want to get more Noocube every day.