Raspberry PI MATRIX Board and SW

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Raspberry PI MATRIX Board and SW

Post by QMESAR »

Hi All,

I have bought a RPi 3 and the extension board from MATRIX for the RPi(also down loaded the nice technical document's from John Crow and Ben thanks guys) however I would like to get the opinions of people which worked with RPi
I Have the German book from van Dam that actually take you through the basics installing the SW on the Sd card and booting with chapters running you through Linux basics and Python and working with Idle,and Idlex and 45 example projects to practice with however he runs Debian now comes my confusion

It seems from the Raspberry website that the way is Noobs as the installer then Rasbian as the OS and then using Linux and Python, do you think I should just use the van Van Dam SW- book and run my RPi to get it going and lean the basics of Linux Paython? or should I directly upgrade to Noobs and Rasbian and only apply his examples with Python and what I learn from his Linux basics chapters; and the another option is to wave Linux and Python and Run WIN 10 IOT core did any of you tried WIN 10 IOT core? as I have a fair amount of knowledge working with C# and VB in Visual Studio it might be the faster option for me as I have to learn Linux and Python from scratch besides the name I know nothing about it and my interest is only to use the Rpi to interface to IOT sensor boards for experimenting with it and build knowledge with cloud and IOT in general and if I am not mistaken Microsoft also allows you to develop cloud stuff with the AZURE cloud services which is all in VS 2015.

I am trying to establish which way would give me the most options and will allow me to use it for a long time in future if it is Linux with Python etc then I just have to sit down and invest the time and get to know these things if WIN 10 is a good option then I have to invest in WIN 10 IOT. I am just trying to avoid spending valuable time on one for working with it for a few months and then realize the other one is the way to go then I have to do all over again

some info here about WIN IOT Core and Rspaberry PI
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... GetStarted#

All you inputs are most welcome and appreciated :D

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Raspberry PI MATRIX Board and SW

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi QMESAR

I have mainly used the Rasbian os for my Pi's, (not tried noobs).

But the big advantage with the pi over conventional computers, is all you have to do is swop the SD card around to get another OS.
I have several cards configured for different things, so its easy to try both debian and noobs and see which you like best.

I have Berts Explore the pi in 45 projects from Elector as well, (which came with a sd card with all the projects and an os already set up.)

I've not thought about using the Win 10 IOT

Don't know if you are aware there is a free monthly magazine that can be downloaded on the Rpi

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi John,

Thank you for the info and the link I was not aware of this magazine I will make sure I look at it every month :D
at the moment I am thinking of just get started with Bert van Dam's book and once I have things running and a bit of knowledge I will try WIN10 IOT ,
a guy must start some where and then with your and Ben's docs I should get my PI running I also think to avoid issues I will stick to Python 2.7 as van Dam is using for now :D

Have nice time

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

For the RPi3 I would stick to rasbian as the book was released before the RPi3 was released. And the RPi3 requires a 'recent' version of the operating system to be able to work. (The image for the book may have been updated for RPi3, a quick look at the authors website didn't provide any information on the subject)

My tests with Win10 IoT resulted in disappointments. Regular hangs of the OS (requiring power removal to resolve) and corrupted data on the SDcard. I'm wishing you a lot more luck ;-)
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Kersing

Thank you very much for the info,I bought my RPi3 with a SD card with Noobs and Rasbian already installed on it so i guess taking your advice I will run this SD card and then maybe use Python 3 ,I suppose the Python code from the book will work in Python 3 then at least if this works out I have a running system will then later try WIN10 IOT on another SD card as John has suggested .

besides that the book os is not good for the RPi3 I suppose all the other material will be ok to learn from :D

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Kersing
For the RPi3 I would stick to rasbian as the book was released before the RPi3 was released
Thank you for this information that made me think and I decided to buy a PI2 that the SW the book and the board fits together that I can learn the stuff, I am trying to avoid to that I get into issues where I am not sure is it the book the SW or the PI :D

My RPi3 I will use then later once I have more knowledge around this stuff.

Thank you once again for this valuable comment

acestu

Post by acestu »

Hi QMESAR,

Yes the Raspbian Jessie image is very good now as it has a lot of previous add on's already installed such as Mosquitto server, Node-Red and so on, so it saves a lot of time, linux basics are easy to pick up, I will say learn how the file system works as it is a bit different to dos and windows and can confuse you at first, there are hundreds of helpfull videos on youtube though, good luck :D

Thanks
Stuart
Laptop Mac Book Pro i7 retina El Capitan //// Tower/Intel i7-Windows 7 64 Bit, Toshiba i5 Laptop Windows 10
Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi Stuart.

Thank you for your message of encouragement :D
Appreciated