non busy delay routine..... possible?

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

prasha920

non busy delay routine..... possible?

Post by prasha920 »

hi,

the need for this topic is to discuss the disadvantage of inbuilt 'delay' macro within FC.
although it works perfect in many applications but in some applications where many interrupts are used and it is not required to keep processor in busy loop. in these cases 'delay' creates timing issues eg. if there is a seconds counter in the program, it gets delayed counts i.e. timing affects.
i went through many threads on forum but didn't get the proper answer for this.
i want to know the possible other methods to generate delays without using 'delay' macro and busy loops.

thanks and regards,
Prashant

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: non busy delay routine..... possible?

Post by kersing »

The processing unit in a micro controller can either be executing instructions or sleeping or shutdown. In the last case nothing can happen, in the second case (sleeping) it will require time to wake which will have impact on timing and the first case (executing instructions) is currently being used...

If you want perfect timing you will need to use a timer with interrupt to create it or not use any interrupts at all (so the delay is not interrupted).
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

prasha920

Re: non busy delay routine..... possible?

Post by prasha920 »

hi kersing,

thanks for reply,
i totally agree with your suggestion. and i tried non busy delays using timer interrupts but i didn't succeed. i will be grateful if you explain it with the example.

thanks,
Prashant