Live-Update Mode(PIC32MZ Devices) Bootloader

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

stefan.erni
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Live-Update Mode(PIC32MZ Devices) Bootloader

Post by stefan.erni »

Hi Ben

Maybe the PIC32MZ is different from the most PIC. It has a
Live-Update Mode(PIC32MZ Devices)
• Has the features of the Basic mode, but only programs the lower Flash region of the program Flash memory

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... _v2.04.pdf

In Flowcode7 it's possible to load the digilent "chipkit wi-fire bootloader" (version c with PIC32MZ2048EFG100). With this it's confortable to program the board with FC7 via USB without a pickit-programmer.
The bootloader from Digilent is avaible. This look as it's the perfect CPU for my board.

So in my hardware I include the same circuit as the chipkit Wi-fire Version C. Either way I design the normal ICSP pin's too.
Do I have to pay attention to something else or have I forgotten something?
chipkit_bootloader.PNG
(29.16 KiB) Downloaded 2205 times
chipkit-wi-fire_rev_c_bootloader.PNG
(62.47 KiB) Downloaded 2205 times
+

stefan.erni
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Live-Update Mode(PIC32MZ Devices) Bootloader

Post by stefan.erni »

Hi Ben

I found the IPE of Microchip in the "pack" of MPLAB® X IDE v4.01

http://www.microchip.com/mplab/mplab-x-ide

It's working fine to program the bootloader from the Chipkit wi-fire
chipKIT-WiFire-EF-v01000303.hex
(12.51 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
After this I can program with Flowcode and USB the chip.
For this I have to choose instead of the chip the configuration "chipkit-wi-fire Bootloader".
with the disadvantage that I can not configure the chip anymore. If I choose the chip version of Flowcode, I need to program with the ICSP. After this it's not possible do program it with the USB. I have to load the bootloader with the IPE aigain .......
I do not have a good idea anymore. In my Lab it's not a problem to program it with the ICSP. But My device that I build will always need a firmware update and this is very much easier for my colleagues to do with usb and not with an ICD programer.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Live-Update Mode(PIC32MZ Devices) Bootloader

Post by Benj »

Glad it's working nicely for you.
For this I have to choose instead of the chip the configuration "chipkit-wi-fire Bootloader".
with the disadvantage that I can not configure the chip anymore.
The configuration is set via the bootloader, thus the reason the configuration settings disappear. It should be possible to modify the bootloader hex file by hand if you find you need to change the various settings. Thought it won't be too straightforward as you will have to find the config bytes in the hex file and then work out the new checksum for the end of line. I've done this for an 8-bit PIC device before but a PIC32 will likely be a whole different ball game.