Microchip new MPLAB-X v4.20, or not...

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

hackinblack

Microchip new MPLAB-X v4.20, or not...

Post by hackinblack »

I looked for the long-awaited update of MPLAB-X on Microchips home page and it's now available!
...or should be.
the link on their download tab is wrong! if you click on it, it downloads v4.15, the previous version.
however some one on here has posted a link over an unrelated problem (though it is related to X IDE..as are most problems)
v4.20 IS here:-
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20082
whoopie... maybe now the PICKit 4 can do what it was advertised as being capable of.we'll see. :wink:

Furivax

Re: Microchip new MPLAB-X v4.20, or not...

Post by Furivax »

Indeed, the link is not good on the site of Microchip.
I just modify 4.15 by 4.20 in the old link.

Code: Select all

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLABX-v4.15-windows-installer.exe
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLABX-v4.20-windows-installer.exe
I tested a little MPLAB-X v4.20 and one thing is certain, it is not compatible with Programmer-to-Go (PTG) with PICKit 4.

hackinblack

Post by hackinblack »

Based on my experiments so far;the PK4 is a 'broken' piece of hardware...the programmer to go/SD card feature
was promised two versions ago,when the PK4 was first advertised; it was one of the two reasons i bought the new model
and is still absent from IPEv4.20...
I've been in contact with microchip over this only to recieve a ' i'm out of the office for 5 days ' message;and as they are currently running ther Arizona 'Masters' event...i don't expect much will be done before i send the B.....d back :(
I have installed the long-awaited new IDE/IPE and the same bug in v4.15 has all 'travelled' into 4.20...

PICKit 4 won't release the clock pin after programming the 12 series chips

You have to pull the 'PGC' connection to get the circuit to run. applying 'external' power makes no difference at all.
as soon as the PK4 is plugged in to the programming connector it disables the I/O on pin6.
However, if you plug the programmer into the board, after using a 16-series chip without resetting the chip type or clicking on 'apply' the board is powered and runs properly...so it seems it is a software bug.
but you obviously WON'T be able to program anything...

My results so far:-
12F675/Low pin-count dem PCB...NO..PGC pulls down I/O on chip pin 6 disabling the LED from being driven
12F1572/(another newer) low pin-count dem PCB...NO, as above
16F690/Low pin-count dem PCB...OK no problems
18F45K22/PICKit3 Debug Express PCB..OK no problems
12F675/My 'clone' LPC boards (18 months without any problems)..NOT working with PK4..same problem (PK3 PK2 both OK)

FunN annd gAymZe...
Attachments
OnTheRackWithHackinBlack.jpg
OnTheRackWithHackinBlack.jpg (68.96 KiB) Viewed 7007 times
Last edited by hackinblack on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

I would think you guys should complain at the Microchip Forum or Microchip support here we can only look at your complains and do nothing about it, :D At the MCCP forum your voices will be heard and MCP will do something about it ,I doubt that MATRIX can help :D

hackinblack

Post by hackinblack »

yes, i agree;i posted this to help other people who may run into problems,and blame it on bugs in either their code/FlowCode/XC-8 etc. etc. it helps to know WHAT is not working,before spending hours chasing your own tail :lol:

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

hackinblack wrote:PICKit 4 won't release the clock pin after programming the 12 series chips
Just checking if you are using the IPE SW to program you have to set the release option ,
I never had this problem of the IPE not releasing the pin.
1.jpg
1.jpg (46.55 KiB) Viewed 7002 times

hackinblack

Post by hackinblack »

no,i checked that;as well as the pull-up/down an resistor value options on the clock and data lines
(under ISP settings) nothing stops this annoying problem. :x
you say yours is OK? i am beginning to wonder if my unit has a fault..?

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Ok just take note I do not have a PK4 however I had these no release problem with IPE if the release from reset are not selected on PK3
I just thought to mention it there is probably a error with the PK4 which MCP should solve

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

I have got a PICkit4.
Programmed a 12F1840 to flash LED connected to pin 3 & pin 6 of 12F180 via Flowcode.
I totally agree with hackinblack , you can't get anything working connected to pin 6 unless you disconnect PGC.
So its just something microchip needs to sort out.
Other pins are OK,
Leaving PICkit4 connected LED on pin 3 is flashing just fine.

Martin
Martin

hackinblack

Post by hackinblack »

So, maybe not a hardware problem after all (unless it's all of them!)
There seems to be a software problem causing contention between 'program' and 'run' pin states.
Microchip really has thrown the banana peel with this thing.
I noticed the PDF user guide for the IPE, released with MPLAB-X v4.20 and the supposed 'current' information...
is dated 7th of November 2016! (look on the bottom of the last page)
it doesn't even cover the 'new' IPE's features! what a shambles it all is :shock: