Programming PIC16F716 with PPP and V2 Development board

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Benj
Matrix Staff

Programming PIC16F716 with PPP and V2 Development board

Post by Benj »

Taken from our Support FAQ Database. RE lokinvaar

I have been using 16C711's succesfully for several years, using PPP with a V2 Development board. I want to use the program on the PIC16F716 which I understand from data sheets is compatible. I have downloaded the latest update for PPP version 3.8.11.24. and set up for 16F716 but on trying to program the chip I receive Programming failed message, Program memory check failed, and the note about code protection.

I am not using code protection.

Are there any issues using the 16F716 with PPP or the development board.

When fitted into the circuit, the micro runs through a set-up routine, starts the main program then freezes. WDT is off. The same program runs perfectly using a 16C711 the only difference being the change of device part number.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Lokinvaar

Sorry about moving your post. I have made sure that the support section cannot be posted to now.

There are no known issues with this chip but I do not have one here so cannot test it.

It sounds like your chip has become write protected. Meaning the code that is on it has been locked. Unfortunatley there is no way around this other than to replace the chip and make sure that code protect and flash program write are always disabled.

Another possibility is that the chip was damaged and therefore isn't functioning when trying to write to it. This may explain the bizarre freezing you described halfway through the program.

lokinvaar

PIC16F716 / PIC16C711

Post by lokinvaar »

Thanks for your help...further update, have contacted Microchip.
I dont think its damaged chip as I have 50 all seem the same, however the distributor who supplied devices told me I could load code from 16C711 straight into 16F716 .... Not true, the memory map is entirely different, user defined registers start at address x20 whereas th C711 start at x0C... which is why the program was freezing.

There seem to be other issues as well, MPLAB SIM does not work properly on 16F716 which makes debugging difficult. Looks like a program re-write is called for.

Regards....

Rob.