"Ghost" on custom hardware

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

streammaster

"Ghost" on custom hardware

Post by streammaster »

Hi FC guys,

In many projects which I was doing using the FC I always created the debugging procedure for actual hardware which was printing out messages on dedicated serial (UART or USB) port. Then I was reading this messages in the comm window on my pc in order to debug the system. That worked very well for me, but i just realized that the FC ghost functionality may work very similarly using similar resource on the hardware?

Is it possible to get the specification how to create a hardware interface so my own private hardware can be debugged using FC Ghost? This would be absolutely wonderful.
I guess when compiling the Ghost needs to be part of the actual program? Can this be done?

Regards,

Igor

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Re: "Ghost" on custom hardware

Post by LeighM »

Hi Igor,

Have you considered using Flowkit V2?
http://www.matrixtsl.com/webshop/flowkit-v2.html

Using this and two allocated pins on your target hardware you can use all the Flowcode Ghost features.

Leigh

streammaster

Post by streammaster »

Perfect!
Is there any documentation which describes the Ghost 'load' in terms of resource requirements?
How this can be used; where the Ghost option is enabled for project?
I looked in to the 'Ghost options' and associated help but this is relay not explaining actual use of the Flowkit 2 use and settings.
What kind of ports are required for Flowkit to work? Is the system 3.3V or also 5V compatible? Is there some user manual for it?

Regards,

Igor

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi Igor,
Yes there is a datasheet on the "resources" tab on the web page.
Flowcode will detect Flowkit and use it in the same way it does with E-blocks upstream Ghost boards.
When you enable Ghost ICD on your project the ICD code is compiled into the hex file.
It can increase code size quite considerably but I don't think we have any rules on that.
Yes, Flowkit V2 is 3.3v and 5v compatible.
Hope that helps,
Leigh

streammaster

Post by streammaster »

Thank you for quick reply,
I had a look in to the PDF doc but it is not explaining how the debugger is actually connected (configured). I can see under the Ghost Options -> Settings that there are 'Flowkit 2 Settings', are those ports settings (clock and data port) related to the current project (saved with the project) or need to be adjusted manually? Can you please describe the "Override Comms pins" tick box? How this settings are related to the other hardware settings in the project (system panel components configuration)? The document describes the settings for the Adruino only. In generic hardware are any MCU hardware resources like hardware serial ports used or the ghost serial communication is implemented completely in software bit by bit?

I will order board immediately.

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

The ICD is done with any two free IO ports on the target project.
Yes they are implemented completely in software bit by bit.

Whatever you choose as the clock and data pins on your project, these are entered in the Flowkit 2 Settings,
you will need to tick the "Override Comms pins" box to enable edit of these from any defaults set by the FCD file for the target device.
This will tell Flowcode which pins to use when it compiles in the ICD code into your project.

Then you simply connect the "Data" pin, marked as "D8" (digital 8 ) on the Flowkit to the Data pin of your project,
and connect the "Clock" pin, marked as "D9" (digital 9) on the Flowkit to the Clock pin of your project.
Also connect GND of Flowkit to GND of your board.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Just to add something here
When using the ICD in development you should use a target mcu in the family with the biggest memory and once your code is final and tested you then select a target with the correct memory size as you will see as your code grows and the addition of the Ghost code your mcu can run out of memory very quickly .This happens to me a few times until I learned the above rule :D :D
But great stuff the Ghost and ICD with Flowkit 2

streammaster

Post by streammaster »

Thank you for hands up.
I'm usually getting the largest device anyway, as I commonly running out of data space also because of my debugging process.
Do you know if the program space is consumed or the data space?
Do you know, from your experience, a percentage which ghost takes?

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi
From what I have seen is that the Ghost use both and on a PIC16F1938 the ghost takes around 41% space,
I guess it differs a bit from mcu to mcu however I think leigh can help out here more than me :D

streammaster

Post by streammaster »

Hi Leigh,

I'm trying to purchase the Flowkit2 but have no success. Matrix online site payment is not working (for Australia).
I sent a few mails to your sales guys but no reply. What I can do to get hands on the board.
Could somebody help me please.

Regards,

Igor

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Thanks for letting us know, we will look into it and get back to you