ESP 32

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

keejay
Flowcode v5 User

ESP 32

Post by keejay »

Hi guys,

I recall reading on the V7 forum (I think) something about upcoming support for the ESP32 in V8. Is this correct and if so, has there been any progress?

Thanks

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: ESP 32

Post by Benj »

Hello,

I have most things working now but this has been very low priority and is currently parked due to other commitments.

The compiler toolchain currently requires Python and a virtual Linux setup which is far from ideal (see official Espressif documentation for setting up the toolchain). At a push we could release like this but it's not really the polished experience we want to associate with Flowcode.

I've been following the Arduino setup to try and nail down the parameters for the C compiler and have made progress as it now compiles without python or virtualised Linux but currently linking and programming is still to do.

Another hurdle is the Wifi and Bluetooth, they seem a bit horrendous to control without oodles of structures and other bits in place. I have low level peripherals working such as I/O, I2C, SPI and UART but the more advanced internal components seem tricky to work with and so would likely need a C CAL in place with a nice and friendly component wrapper.

If this is something that appeals to you then please let us know so we can correctly assign the priority.

keejay
Flowcode v5 User

Re: ESP 32

Post by keejay »

Hi Benj,

Thanks for your reply. I firmly believe that due to the ESP32’s powerful functionality, there will be a large number of people making use of this chip and could possibly be of great financial benefit to Matrix to support it with FC. I for one have no intention of upgrading to FC8, but if the ESP32 were to be added and all it’s functions supported, then I’d upgrade in an instant.

So to answer your question, yes I would love it if you guys did some more work on it and included it in FC8 at some stage.