PIC32xxxxx Advice Please

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PIC32xxxxx Advice Please

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I took the opportunity during the recent sale to upgrade my chip packs to include PIC32. Now I have no immediate need for such power, but once I figure out what to do with it surely world domination can only be a few steps away?

With that in mind, would anyone please recommend a good PIC32 to start out with? I would prefer something in DIL packaging but that isn't absolutely essential.

I haven't even looked at the physical aspects of downloading to the chip yet, but assume I will need to dig out my (as yet unused) PIcKit3 clone as I don't think EB006-v9 supports PIC32.

Thanks in advance.

stefan.erni
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: PIC32xxxxx Advice Please

Post by stefan.erni »

Hi Chipfryer

The PIC32 is very nice supportet from Flowcode.
One with a lot power is the PIC32MZ2048EFG. It runs with 200Mhz.
I have one on my board.Its not so difficult to layout a board with it.
You can try it with a demoboard. On this boards there are lot of Pins from the PIC on a connector.
Or depending from the boards, you can connect Arduino shield or cklickboards.
There are several demoboard with this CPU.

Here some boards less than 80.- Euro
regards
Stefan
wifire.PNG
(237.1 KiB) Downloaded 926 times
olimex.PNG
(268.79 KiB) Downloaded 926 times
Microe.PNG
(695.03 KiB) Downloaded 926 times

Alkaline

Post by Alkaline »

Hi Chipfryer

In addition to the Mz family you can try the previous mx family of which there are extremely cheap development boards!

For projects currently finished I am successfully using the pic32mx470f512h.

Flowcode support is excellent and all peripherals (i2c, uart, pwm etc work correctly).
This chip is able to properly drive displays and other peripherals using the various buses present.
It is also possible to optimize the chip to make it work at its maximum.it's a simple step, just add some libraries and a couple of lines at the beginning of the program (the chip works correctly even without this additional code!).
You can buy an existing development board on the market or you can make one yourself. It is extremely simple and requires few components around the MCU.
Throughout the development the software runs without crash. I also push the chip to its maximum!Right now I'm trying to adapt the usb bootloader on this specific mcu. It is not a simple job and takes some time.
As soon as I succeed I will share it so that more users can be able to use it.

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

It seems that these devices are quite capable of pretty much anything I could ever think of. I hadn't initially thought on using a development board but now I can see that having one would make playtime a lot easier, with everything "there" so to speak.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Regards