How to send GSM international phone code?

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

Jan Lichtenbelt

How to send GSM international phone code?

Post by Jan Lichtenbelt »

I use the maco SendTextMessage to send a SMS to a moble phone. This works OK for national phone numbers. But if I use +44 (for UK) or +31 (for NL), it does not work.

How to handle this?

kind regards

Jan

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: How to send GSM international phone code?

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I haven't used the GSM component so I am not best placed to answer but one thing you could try is using 00 instead of "+". I know the "+" is supposed to be universal but it is worth trying 0044 or 0031. ITU has specified 00 as international access but not all countries have adopted it.

Regards

Jan Lichtenbelt

Hi Chipfreyer27,

Thanks for your suggestion for improvements.

I found that the problem was a hardware problem. The +31 (or general +country code) plus phone number (without preceeding 0) works fine.

But I have an other question
I used the flowcode as attached. There is one problem. To send a SMS I used the SendTextMassage. But I found even the SMS has correctly be received, the return value of SendTextMessage is 255 (failure) instead of 0 (succes). I found this problem all the time. What can be the reason and how can this be improved?

Kind regards

Jan
SIM800_HOLA_V5a.fcfx
(17.96 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I haven't played with the GSM component so I'm perhaps not best placed to answer. I have however found that a colleague has a similar module to the EB board so maybe I will steal that when he isn't looking :)

I can think of two possible reasons and I stress that both could be completely wrong, but here goes anyway.

The component macro may possibly be looking for a specific reply from the board to indicate success. Possibly the version of your board provides a different reply? A few years ago that was the case with some ESP WiFi modules I was using. Manufacturer changed firmware and they were no longer compatible with the macro. Kersing very kindly created a macro that I could use that allowed me to change the expected response. I'm not saying that is your problem but perhaps a possibility. Have you tried connecting with a PC running a terminal program and sending "AT" commands to see what the module replies with or monitoring the Rx port with an PC/analyser? That may be worthwhile.

Next, and I stress I don't know how the component operates, or how long does it wait for a reply and what triggers this reply. It returns 0 for success but what triggers the response? Is it that the module has received your send command, the module has sent your text or that the module has received a network receipt? Apart from the former these could be seconds. Just a (probably wrong) thought.

Regards

Jan Lichtenbelt

Can someone help me with the problem of the error code 255 if a SMS has sent correctly?
I have the feeling that the return code is always 255, independent if the SMS has been sent correctly or not.

Kind regards

Jan

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hi Jan,
As Chipfreyer27 mentioned ...
The component macro may possibly be looking for a specific reply from the board to indicate success. Possibly the version of your board provides a different reply?
The GSM component was designed for EB066 which uses a Telit GL865
The command set is generic, but there could be some differences between this and your SIM800 that is causing this issue.

Jan Lichtenbelt

Hi chipfryer27 and LeighM

Thanks a lot. It is hard to find the UART SIM800L protocol. Up to now I do not find it. But it keeps me busy.

Kind regards

Jan

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Try this ...
Attachments
SIM800 Series_AT Command Manual_V1.09.pdf
(3.07 MiB) Downloaded 216 times

Jan Lichtenbelt

hi LeighM

Thanks for the reference. That is not easy stuff.

Kind regards

Jan

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Jan

If you have a PC with USB to Serial converter and HyperTerminal (or similar), you can connect that across the Tx/Rx pins. You can then monitor in real time what commands are being sent and more importantly what the response is to the command.

I recently obtained one of those modules but as I am still on my travels I won't be able to play for a while yet.

Regards