Cannot get 16F1507 working with Flowcode 8 and PicKit 3.

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

stylo

Cannot get 16F1507 working with Flowcode 8 and PicKit 3.

Post by stylo »

Hi folks,

Trying to get a simple program on to a 16F1507 chip using Flowcode 8. Using an EB-006-00-9 board and a PICKit 3.
When compiling to the chip, I receive the following error:

Target voltage detected
Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID. Please check your connections to the Target Device.
Programming Target Failed.

The PICKit is powered on, the first time I compiled it downloaded and installed firmware. I've checked the cabling with a multimeter, and tried 2 chips. Still no joy.

As far as I know I've done everything necessary. The correct chip is specified in the project settings, the latest version of MPLAB is installed (5.2) and I've set the correct path location and parameters in the "Programmer" tab of the Compiler Options in Flowcode as specified in the wiki.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT - I have checked QMESAR's suggestion and the programming Source jumper is in the ICSP position, Voltage jumper set to 5V, Voltage source jumper set to PSU. As far as I am aware that is all correct, but the problem persists i'm afraid.
Last edited by stylo on Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Cannot get 16F1507 working with Flowcode 8 and PicKit 3.

Post by QMESAR »

HI
The error you are getting imply that you have no connection to the chip and PICkit
just a question did you switch the bridge connection on the EB006V9 to ICSP ,if it is in the USB position you the connection is to the ON board Ghost chip and not to the ICSP connection(PICKIT connection)

Hope this helps

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Thanks Qmesar

I am about to dig out my as yet unused PicKit3 and I'd forgotten about that switch. Thanks for the reminder :)

Regards

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

:) You are welcome I always do the same things that's why I recognize the error

stylo

Post by stylo »

Hi Qmesar
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Yes the "Programming Source jumper is in the ICSP position, Voltage jumper set to 5V, Voltage source jumper set to PSU,
Any other ideas appreciated.
Regards Stylo

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Your suggestion was to pick up a PicKit 3, which I have now done :)

The issue is that I am having trouble getting a connection to the PicKit 3. Receiving a rather vague error message. I've posted on the forum detailing the exact issue and error, and did receive 1 response, but that unfortunately wasn't able to rectify the problem:

If it's at all possible for you or anyone else at Matrix to help me diagnose the issue, I would be incredibly thankful.

Thanks very much for your time.

Brian.
Hi Brian,

What error message are you receiving. Are you using the MPLAB IPE software directly or are you integrating with Flowcode?

Help on integrating within Flowcode is available here.
https://www.matrixtsl.com/wiki/index.ph ... _.28NEW.29

Make sure you are changing the Programmer tab of the compiler options or you will break the compilation and linking processes.

stylo

Post by stylo »

Hi BenJ
Apologies for late response.
Decided to have a good look at all settings and connections on the programming board and found to my shame that the ZIF socket carrying the chip was in the wrong place.
Qmaser you were on the right track when you queried the USB\ICSP jumper position.
I will now go to the Naughty step and write 100 times “Due diligence before invoking the power of the forum”
Thanks to you both, Qmaser & BenJ

Regards Brian (stylo)

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Brian,

I find you can be doing the most complicated thing in the world and something stupid and silly will always find a way to creep in and trip you up :wink: Its just the way of things.

The number of times I have rewritten code because I assumed it was flawed when really it was down to a basic hardware issue I was overlooking and vise versa.

Really glad you found the cause of the problem and thanks for letting us know :D