EEPROM losses data

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

Jan Lichtenbelt

EEPROM losses data

Post by Jan Lichtenbelt »

A simple flowcode reads first and then writes data from and to an EEPROM. In this case a simple string "Hello" has been used.
After programming the microchip the string read should be empty. So far so good.
The second and following starts of this microchip should read "Hello" from the EEPROM. I found always an empty string.
What I'm doing wrong???
Test_ReadandWrite_EEPROM_V1.fcfx
(13 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Kind regards

Jan

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: EEPROM losses data

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Jan,
There was a few issues.
For example in the read EEPROM, read EEPROM address loop continued when value read was greater than 0.
By default, the value of each EEPROM address is 255 if never used, not 0.

Try the attached flowchart.
Attachments
Test_ReadandWrite_EEPROM_V2.fcfx
(13.99 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Martin

Jan Lichtenbelt

Hi Martin,

What can be more simple as programming an EEPROM? It tooks me a lot of testing and puzziling.
But let me first thanks you for help with the flowcode V2. Indeed I made a lot of errors in version 1. Perhaps to long puzzeling and thus making errors?

This is what I found. In the attached version, I showed the contents of each EEPROM address on the LCD screen. I did:
1) loading this flowocode into the microchip.
2) The EEPROM is, as expected, empty. In this programm the EEPRON will be filled with "Hello"
3) Next start the string read is indeed "Hello". Again as expected
4) I loaded thesame flowcode again into the microchip
5) A now the EEPROM is NOT empty, but shows "Hello". There can only one conclusion: the EEPROM is not cleared during the loading of the program. There was no message about EEPROM during loading. And the "Initial values" of the EEPROM are empty. This would make the EEPROM to be cleared. Why does that not work????

Kind regards

Jan
Test_ReadandWrite_EEPROM_V1847.fcfx
(14.88 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

EtsDriver

Post by EtsDriver »

Jan Lichtenbelt wrote: 5) A now the EEPROM is NOT empty, but shows "Hello". There can only one conclusion: the EEPROM is not cleared during the loading of the program. There was no message about EEPROM during loading. And the "Initial values" of the EEPROM are empty. This would make the EEPROM to be cleared. Why does that not work????
Hi Jan!

I have to say, that most of the time its good that the EEPROM is not emptied, as it might have some calibration, serial number or other important data, and if the chip is re-programmed with updated software, it can be done on field, without risk that you need to carry all calibration equipment with you to do a lab-grade calibration there.

To erase EEPROM every time, it would mean that on development bench, the EEPROM would burn out extremely fast and cause erratic behavior.

Many times i have seen that the EEPROM might contain gibberish as new part, and usually i load a "preset+test" code on production devices to format EEPROM to default values and to do Unit Functional Tests before loading final firmware and calibrations.

On older MIAC units, i remeber to have seen the EEPROM be totally anything from 0-255 when they come in as new.
Ill just keep the good work up!

Jan Lichtenbelt

Hi Etsdriver,

Thanks for your help.

The problem is, if you expect the EEPROM to be erased by loading the hex file, you have to take other actions compared to the case the EEPROM will not be erased. Fortunately it can be easily checked by the particular EEPROM address to be 255 or <255.

Kind regards

Jan

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

I think the EEPROM is erased on a programming cycle unless specifically told not to in the config or in the PICkit settings. mLoader & E-blocks will always do it automatically.

After programming the chip likely gets reset a couple of times and so the first run you are seeing is probably not the actual first run. Try adding a couple of seconds delay before you set the EE values and you should then see it happen on the first "stable" run.