programming atmega 328

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

secs

programming atmega 328

Post by secs »

Hi all.

I normally play around with Arduino Megas and simply use the development boards. But was thinking about using an Atmega 328p type chip with a crystal etc in a PCB as an end product I guess just for fun.

In looking for programmer hardware I cam across an idea (not mine) of using a UNO to program the chip.

So what would be wrong with using the UNO development board as the trail etc and making it all work then simply removing the chip and putting it on the PCB?

mnf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: programming atmega 328

Post by mnf »

I don't think there is a problem if you have an external clock and don't rely on any of the hardware....

See https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard - of course there is the question of what to do with the Arduino afterwards - put another chip in it - and the associated problems of inserting and extracting chips - and in the normal development cycle (program, test, repogram repeat - this might happen several times:-) )

If you use the internal clock (ie a minimal circuit) then you may need to reprogram the fuses on the MCU too - and it becomes unusable in the arduino until this set back to correct settings for too.

I'd suggest using the Arduino as a programmer for an extra chip as being 'easier'... (Get to work on a board first and then 'migrate' to it's final home...)

Martin

secs

Re: programming atmega 328

Post by secs »

Thanks Martin

I intend to use the external clock/crystal and caps so that part is fine but I may give the programming via the uno a go anyway. Not really worried about the left over parts/uno at all.

I guess I can give it a go and see what happens. I have ordered a uno so will wait for its arrival