REQ help: circular buffer

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

MJU

REQ help: circular buffer

Post by MJU »

Hey there,

I've started a project I was working on last summer again.
But my old brain sometimes jumps from here to there.
I don't know what I was doing at that time :-(

The project I was working on did almost what I wanted, but then failed and because of other priorities I left it alone all this time.

The one thing I always struggle is the use of the circular buffer.

- My project receives via RS232 data on it's RX pin from a wireless device.
- After a while, after first receiving data, a certain pin on the wireless device pin goes low (as a sign that there is data being received) after a few ms.
- I want to store the data the Arduino receives in a variable (text) on which I can act later.

But the problem is that the CB doesn't work like I expect to.
I can't seem to get it working.

Is there anyone that can make an example that does the following?

As soon as there is data on the RX pin (interupt?) the data gets stored in a circular buffer.
As soon as the data stops, and a certain IO pin goes back high, there is time to search the CB for a string (let"s say the string "start") and returns the 15 next positions from the CB as a string.

So this is what it should do.

1- First data is received on the RX pin
2- Store data in CB
3- Meanwhile a certain pin is low on a connected device.
4- Keep reading data until the datastream stops and put this in the CB
5- A few ms after the last received data the IO pin goes high again.
6- Now the CB has to be searched for a specific search string (let's say "start")
7- The data after the first instance for this search string should be stored in a textstring (the next 15 positions in the CB)
8- This textstring should be ready to act on.
9- Maybe the buffer must be flushed after this action

Is there anyone that can make an example for me to study?
I need to find out the right structure to work with the CB and get the data in a string variable.

Thanks for your help

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: REQ help: circular buffer

Post by Benj »

Hello,

How about something like this as a starting point.
CB_Demo.fcfx
(15.01 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

MJU

Post by MJU »

Benj wrote:Hello,

How about something like this as a starting point.

CB_Demo.fcfx
This looks great!
I'm going to study it and implement it in my project!

Thanks BenJ

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi MJU

I'm guessing this is a follow up on the module you were using last summer? I knocked up a circuit using those modules and could pass data between without much issue, searching the CB for my target data.

Making my way back home now (rather troublesome in current climate) so if you are still needing help I can dig out the code I used with the modules, but it won't be until the middle of the week-ish. If I remember correctly there were a couple of module setup issues that caused a bit of fun, but no show stoppers.

Regards

MJU

Post by MJU »

chipfryer27 wrote:Hi MJU

I'm guessing this is a follow up on the module you were using last summer? I knocked up a circuit using those modules and could pass data between without much issue, searching the CB for my target data.

Making my way back home now (rather troublesome in current climate) so if you are still needing help I can dig out the code I used with the modules, but it won't be until the middle of the week-ish. If I remember correctly there were a couple of module setup issues that caused a bit of fun, but no show stoppers.

Regards
Thank you for your offer!
It's true I've started with the E32 module again.
After months of other priorities.

I've used the example BenJ posted and it works.
I'm a weird kind of Flowcode user. I can work weeks on a project and then leave FC for months.

Now I've made progression and because of the strange times we live in, I've got some time to work on it somewhat further.
I hope I still can make use from your offer if I don't succeed?
Thanks again!

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Just got back.

I know what you mean by starting and then leaving alone for a while. Due to business commitments I can be "all over" the forum for a few days or so then nothing for a month or two. I can usually drop in now and again but as I don't usually have FC with me I am limited in any response.

I get the feeling that there will be a lot of forum activity over the next few weeks due to circumstance. I have plans to familiarise and play with components / licenses I haven't yet got around to using so no doubt I'll be looking for all the help I can get :)

If I can be of help, just shout.

Regards