RFM95W Lora Modules

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

balles

RFM95W Lora Modules

Post by balles »

Hello

I'm working on making two RFM95W 868 Mhz Lora modules exchange data. Short distance, side by side first.
I went through all the registry settings and configured the macros based on the FC Lora component framework.
The register values are similar but not all, so I let the annotations on every one. RFM95W uses the SX1276 for notice.

Without any success so far, as there is only one lora module available in FC (even in V10), any help is greatly appreciated! It shouldn't be too far off to work but I can't find the necessary details anymore.

The macros to setup the frequency, read register and write register are working ok. Confirmed via LCD. So no problem with connections or SPI.
I hope someone from the MM team will take a look at it because it is a cheap component and many can bennefit from it.

It's not possible to use Lora modules without the Rx and Tx Switches? If it is, what are the configs necessary to setup this work mode?

Thanks!
Attachments
Lora_TX.fcfx
Expect to send four bytes
(31.57 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Lora_RX.fcfx
Expect to receive any data
(33.25 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: RFM95W Lora Modules

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Seems my first reply got lost somewhere.........

For anything RF or LoRa I usually head to RF Solutions https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/ as their products are rock solid and their support is exemplary. I see your modules appear to be made by HopeRF https://hoperf.com/ and when used in LoRa mode employ a proprietary technology.

Prices appear to vary greatly. Adafruit offer boards upwards of £30 each and of course cheap versions are available from the usual sources from around a dollar or two. Cheap is usually cheap for a reason and may only work in FSK/OOK mode (if at all) and to add confusion they are available as Tx, Rx and transceiver versions. I see RF Solutions offer bare transceiver modules for around £10 though.

It is worth noting that other "cheap" radio modules barely reach a few centimetres without an antenna and even with one it's still dodgy to say the least. I'm not sure if the FC LoRa component will work as it's based on the SX so you would need to go through the registers etc to check compatibility but it is encouraging that you are getting replies.

I'm travelling just now and I don't have FC on this machine, but I'll try and have a look at things later in the week.

Regards