Download the program for the device via the Internet.

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Download the program for the device via the Internet.

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Only on my phone at present so I can't really see what settings are, but whatever you used to send "AT" and get the "OK" reply is what you need.

It's a great step forward as it means you can communicate with the module :D

When sending "AT" it needs a CR / LF (or both, can't remember exactly offhand) to signal that you have finished sending your command.

When you send "AT" (which means "attention") it returns "OK" to let you know all is well and we are good to go.

Now that you can send AT and get a reply of OK you can send / configure / control quite easily.

When I use them I first check out everything by using Terminal, sending whatever commands I need and monitoring the reply. Once the modules are doing what I want I then create a Flowcode chart to mimic what I sent using Terminal.

Your USB device will quickly become your best friend when working with modules over the UART as you can use it to monitor what's happening on a pin. If you can, perhaps make up a "Header" that fits into the adapter socket (where the esp plugs into) that breaks out the Ground, Tx and Rx connections to jumper wires. This will allow you to use the adapter for a lot more than just the ESP modules.

Have you downloaded a copy of the "AT" command set yet? I strongly recommend you do so as it provides all the details and usage of all commands the modules accept.

You may wish to check your firmware version.

Send AT, you should get a reply of OK.
Next send AT+GMR and you should get AT+GMR xxxx OK returned to you where xxxx = firmware version.

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

You do need to include CR and LF after each command is typed and Terminal allows you to send this automatically by checking CR=CR+LF. If using some other program then after you type AT you need to press and hold CTRL, then press M then J. Using Terminal is much easier I think.

There is no guarantee that your modules are running the latest firmware, nor even all at the same version so you may want to check / update.

You will need the Flash Download Tool

https://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=433

and the latest SDK

https://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2451

You will also need to create a test circuit that enables you to put the ESP8266 into programming mode, and details are in this little guide to updating.

Update ESP8266 Firmware.pdf
(76.14 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Have fun......:)

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! The moment has come when it is possible and necessary to change the speed of communication via the esp8266 uart module. You do not know the programs with which you can configure the esp8266 module. You probably still need to register an ip address there.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I'm confused as to why you think you need an IP address to configure an ESP8266 over UART (especially as you can now interact with it via the AT command set).

Have you downloaded the associated AT Command list? It documents and gives examples of all commands, and it is these commands you use to make configuration changes and also to control the module.

However as there are different versions of the commands, you need to use the version for the firmware in your module, that is why I suggested you check and possibly update to the latest firmware.

All interaction with a microcontroller such as an ATMega (for example) is over the UART connection, and you do this by issuing the appropriate AT commands.

Flowcode does not allow you to program the ESP8266 directly (but possibly coming in v10), instead it allows you to interact with it to do whatever such as create an access point, connect to a website or to pass data and this is done by using the AT command set.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! Thank you very much for the links and instructions, to be honest, I did not expect that there would be so much. Probably when something turns out, my information will be simplified and structured, but for now there is porridgeI will not be able to start doing anything in the near future, I will only be able to do it from Monday after 13-14 hours. I heard that in the 10th version of the Flowcode program there is an opportunity to work with the esp8266 module, but I did not specify the details.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Like most things, when you first look or try it can seem daunting but the ESP8266 is very easy to use.

You should download the associated AT commands as knowing these (or having them to hand) will be extremely valuable in getting the modules to do as you wish. They are very easy to use so don't be scared of them :)

Whilst Flowcode can do most of what you want in terms of setting up an access point and actually communicating, it can't actually configure your firmware and in addition if your firmware is too old then FC may not work as you expect.

The hardest part of upgrading is creating the test circuit with buttons, and I'm sure that won't be any trouble for you at all.

v10 allows you to program the ESP32's directly, but not the ESP8266's. It is being considered though. Personally I can do all I want with the 8266's just by using the AT commands.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! So far, I have only checked the firmware version on both modules, it turned out to be the same. I'm working on it.
Attachments
firmware version of 2 module.jpg
firmware version of 2 module.jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 438 times
firmware version of 1 module.jpg
firmware version of 1 module.jpg (67.42 KiB) Viewed 438 times

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! Thank you for your help with the project. I recently looked at an alternative version of connecting the esp8266-01 module for programming. She and your version are in the attached file. I also wanted to ask about your drawing. It has separate arrows pointing to different external "-" or ground. And the power is taken from an external source of +3.2 volts. Is this just a simplified diagram so as not to clutter up the drawing and all connections can be made to the terminals of the usb-ttl module?
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (50.61 KiB) Viewed 422 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I think your firmware is an older version as the latest is

AT = 1.7.4.0
SDK = 3.0.4

Not sure what the differences will be though.

As for the connections, my diagram was as you say just to illustrate what needs to be connected, and is essentially the same as your other diagram. However your board will most likely have the weak-pull ups already in place (the resistors) so you won't need them.

Good to hear you are interacting with the modules without any trouble. They aren't really too scary :)

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good afternoon! Thanks for the information. I will do it according to your scheme.

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! I apologize for the significant delay in testing the programs and the response-the work schedule has changed, the time has become less. I soldered and connected the wires on one esp8266 module. I tried to check the passage of the AT command, it stopped responding. Maybe this is normal for this scheme, I do not know. Since there were no instructions other than those links that you gave me, I began to try the method of scientific poking. Then I turned on the flash_download_tool_3.96 program -I tried to press the buttons, the answer was not very diverse: no log file output... I am sending screenshots from the screen, then I tried to run the Esp_RF_TestTool_v3.6 program.There was already a little description, as I understood from the beginning, we set the speed, then select the file for test sending at different speeds and send it. But I have not found anywhere information on deleting the current program and writing a more recent version. Maybe you have the opportunity to explain how to work with programs there.

Maybe these programs are only additional, and the firmware should be changed in another program? What kind of firmware change technology is there at all-just write a new one in place of the old one, or erase the old one from the beginning by writing an empty large file there?(I read it on some forum, but there was a sect of arduinschikov), then the firmware itself. It is unclear when to press which buttons on the real circuit.

If anything, I will be able to read your message on Sunday after 4 p.m.
Attachments
screenshot from the screen when working with the flash_downloader_tool program.JPG
screenshot from the screen when working with the flash_downloader_tool program.JPG (74.99 KiB) Viewed 329 times
screenshot from the screen when working with the Esp_RF_TestTool_v3.6 program.JPG
screenshot from the screen when working with the Esp_RF_TestTool_v3.6 program.JPG (70.26 KiB) Viewed 329 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

The links and the "update" guide should get you going.

I see in your screenshot of the Flash Download Tool you haven't set the paths for the files. It will look for four files as per guide and once you set these, the paths will turn green. Only then can you use it.

Also, you have Com Fail which usually means you haven't set the correct com port that connects to your Serial Adapter.

No idea about the RF Test Tool as I've never used it.

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

This is a helpful link

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projec ... fi-module/

If you ignore the beginning which basically describes getting a terminal program to send AT commands, and scroll down to "Installing the Firmware" you will find helpful instructions.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! Thanks for the instructions and the link. I understand that this esp8266 module and the like have factory firmware, and the newer firmware is made by private professionals. After clicking on the links to the documents and the description of the version fixes, I got to where I can download the update. But there was a link to the ESP8266_NONOS_SDK_V2.0.0_16_08_10 version and there is an update version to "Update at bin to 1.7.4.0", there are still two firmware versions: 1)ESP8266 NonOS SDK and 2)ESP8266_RTOS_SDK. I understand that the 2nd version of the firmware is also suitable for other devices like esp32?

And there is also a link to an even later version of the "Updated SDK version to 3.0.5". But after your post, I did not understand at what point in the programming of the esp 8266 module should I press the button on the output "GPIO-0" to connect with minus earth? Please explain how to act there.
Attachments
esp8266_nonos_sdk _ZIP.JPG
esp8266_nonos_sdk _ZIP.JPG (102.17 KiB) Viewed 280 times
update at bin to 1.7.4.0.JPG
update at bin to 1.7.4.0.JPG (64.28 KiB) Viewed 280 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I'm unsure of your screenshots above and can only comment on what I used.

A few posts above I posted a link to download the SDK. If you follow that you are taken to an espressif page and near the bottom you will see a box marked attachments and a link to download the zipped SDK.

Download this then unzip to a folder on your drive. When running the flash tool you need to follow the instructions and point the respective paths to the SDK folder and files you just downloaded.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good afternoon! I downloaded it according to the instructions, but I did not find the original in the forum of our topic, where you explained which files to download and when to press which buttons. I did these manipulations, but I'm not sure that I chose the second file correctly, if as you said(?) leave this place empty, it will not be marked green and will be red. But in any case, something went wrong. After pressing the start button, nothing happened, only there was such a screen as I am sending you in the attached files. If you have the opportunity, could you explain what I was doing wrong there (or correctly?). I won't be able to read your answer until Wednesday after 4 p.m.
Attachments
after pressing the start button, nothing happened.jpg
after pressing the start button, nothing happened.jpg (79.84 KiB) Viewed 251 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (74.69 KiB) Viewed 251 times

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I'm not at a machine with the esp stuff on it but will check when I can

Did you remember to enable the esp first by connecting as per the circuit earlier, and pressing the rest/gpio-0 buttons? Only after that can you then press Start in the Flash tool.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good afternoon! Before pressing the start button in the program, I had the circuit connected as you sent me, I selected the files and performed the following manipulations:
-Press and hold the reset button
-Press and hold the GPIO-0 button
Wait a few seconds
-Release the reset button
-Release the GPIO-0 button
I tried these manipulations twice, once when there were the following downloads: 1 = esp_init_data_default_v08
2 = empty
3 = boot_v1.7
4 = user1.1024.new.2
and another time when the blank.bin file was selected in step 2.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Not had a chance to check yet but hopefully I can tomorrow.

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I've dug out my esp8266 modules and I'll refamiliarise myself with the process. I'll update once done.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good evening! Today I decided to look in more detail at how to program, the instructions have a screenshot of earlier versions of the program "flash_download_tool_3.9.6", there is a menu for selecting the size of the downloaded file and there is an instruction that says that if the version of the old firmware is from m ESP8266_NONOS_SDK_V1.5.0, AT_V0.51, then the firmware is 8 MB and more (though this moment referred to the program "EspRFTestTool_v3.6"But there is a menu for choosing the file size, but in reality there are only the names of the files and in what order to download.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

My ESP8266 doesn't do anything, possibly the duff one from an earlier post.

I'll grab another, hopefully tomorrow.

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

I don't recall the flash tool looking like that. Maybe they have updated it? I'm always wary if espressif make any change which is why if I have something that works I keep a copy of it locally.

I'll look out which version I used and get back to you.

Regards

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

OK, back in action. I had to completely reinstall to bring the esp of last night back to life.

Looking around it seems things have changed a bit since i last played with these and I'm unsure as to why the latest SDK shows 3.0.5 but I can only see 3.0.4 on the website. I doubt if it matters too much though.

I downloaded Flash Tool v2.3 from here

https://bbs.espressif.com/download/file ... 4b8b60bcc9

Before we move on I forgot to mention that generally speaking you get two types of esp8266, built on blue and black PCBs. There is a difference as the blue indicates it has 512KB of memory whilst the black has 1MB of memory which is important when we flash. Note I use capitals. KB and MB to indicate Bytes which as we all know are 8-bits in length. The tool asks for flash size so you need to tell it the correct value. 512KB = 4Mb in the tool whilst 1MB = 8Mb in the tool (b = bit).

The flash tool looks like this. The important things to note and ensure are circled. Correct Com Port for your PC and Baud rate (115200). Also ensure no check boxes have been ticked.

Flash-1.JPG
Flash-1.JPG (81.97 KiB) Viewed 86 times

With your esp8266 connected, press and hold the reset button, then press and hold the flash button (GPIO-0). Release reset, wait a second or two then release flash.

Press the Start button on the flash tool and after a few seconds you should get info in the detected info box. Important things to note are size (in this case) of 8Mb and crystal of 26MHz. I did have to do this reset esp and press flash etc a couple of time which I'm putting down to being on breadboard.

Flash-2.JPG
Flash-2.JPG (84.28 KiB) Viewed 86 times

As my flash tool was already setup for 8Mb and 26MHz I don't need to change anything but you will need to check / change yours to suit. Also ensure QIO is checked and also SpiAutoSet.

When you open the SDK folder you will find many files. The ones of interest are in the bin folder (first five) and at (at > 512+512) folder. We are going to point the flash tool to the required files and also set the Hex address of where it needs to go. As the picture won't show you the full path including file name they are here in order:-

File / Hex Address

blank / 0xfb000
esp_init_data_default_v08 / 0xfc000
blank / 0x7e000
blank / 0xfe000
boot_v1.7 / 0x00000
user1.1024.new.2 / 0x01000

As you select the files by clicking on the three dots beside box and selecting the files, the boxes will turn green. Double Check Everything......! Now click on the check boxes to the left of the files you have selected and the Hex boxes will turn green

Flash-3.JPG
Flash-3.JPG (94.25 KiB) Viewed 86 times

On the esp8266 module, press and hold the reset button, then press and hold the flash button (GPIO-0). Release reset, wait a second or two then release flash.

Now press Start in the Flash tool

A blue bar should start to crawl across the tool indicating the download has started. After a minute or so it will finish.

Flash-4.JPG
Flash-4.JPG (96.54 KiB) Viewed 86 times

Now press reset on the esp8266 and release after a few seconds. Next power down the esp8266. You can either exit the flash tool or set the com port to the wrong location as we will need the port for our Terminal program.

Open your terminal program set at 115200 8/1/N, choose the correct port and connect. Power up the esp8266 and you should see a string of nonsense then "Ready". Sending "AT" should return "OK". Sending "AT+GMR" will return the details of the firmware.

Flash-5.JPG
Flash-5.JPG (112.34 KiB) Viewed 86 times

Hope the above helps.

Regards

gilanetugila

Post by gilanetugila »

Good afternoon! I sincerely thank you for such a detailed description of the installation of the new firmware and for the older version of the download program. I have already downloaded it, now I will try to repeat your instruction. I just wanted to clarify, you have "
File / Hex Address" in your file list
blank / 0xfb000
esp_init_data_default_v08 / 0xfc000
blank / 0x7e000
blank / 0xfe000
boot_v1.7 / 0x00000
user1.1024.new.2 / 0x01000"
the "blank" file with a different hex is repeated several times-is it the same file or different? why am I asking if I have only one such "blank" in my downloaded files?
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (38.6 KiB) Viewed 54 times