Improve/Update Matrix Wiki

Moderator: Benj

MJU

Improve/Update Matrix Wiki

Post by MJU »

Hey guys,

I didn't know where to post this so I put it here.

Can someone please explain the easiest way to find details for the char$ function?

I'll explain why.
I've been searching the Wiki for more then 15 minutes now but can't find the information for how to use this command.

I've started in the calculation component in my Flowcode V8.2, on the end there is a question mark that leads to the help file for this component on the Wiki.
There is some information for calculations in this component, but no info how to use the char$ function.

Now the Wiki is open I've typed "char$" into the search field.
Here are many pages displayed, but none that lead me directly to a page on how to use the function.

Then I've searched for string manipulation functions, no char$...
And so on...

Maybe the next brainstorm session @Matrix this could be put on the agenda?
Please keep in mind that not all users are working with Flowcode everyday.
Keep searching simple on the Wiki simple, in a way people understand.

Please try this for me and show me the way to the correct page where there is more to learn about these functions..
If you find it hard to reach the correct page in a few steps, please delete obsolete pages or make the search engine more efficient.

mnf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Improve/Update Matrix Wiki

Post by mnf »

Sounds like a good idea - maybe some context sensitive help in FC would be good.

The tooltips (where Char$ currently <number> = Char$(<string>, <number>) and compare$ gives <number> = Compare$(<string>, <string>, <number>) for example) could be made more useful too (as an idea - could this be 'farmed out' to the FC community - suggestions for tooltips etc welcome - although it would be good to have some consistency of style)

As for Char$ (see viewtopic.php?t=4121) - I would probably just use array indexing so c = string[index] (it just returns the character at an index in the string so Char$("Hello", 0) = 'H' ( = "Hello"[0])

Martin

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Improve/Update Matrix Wiki

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know. I've been in and added the Char$ function now, it was the only string function that was missing but strange it was missing.

It's on this page,
https://www.matrixtsl.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Functions

Or via the main help index page listed under functions.
https://www.matrixtsl.com/wiki/index.ph ... p_Overview

We have a plan for the Wiki which is currently being rolled out to try and make it easier to use. Please let us know if there is anything else you need to know which you can't find there or anything you think should be there.

Context help is something we have discussed and may be an option for the future.