SSD1351 SPI ARM

Moderator: Benj

chad

SSD1351 SPI ARM

Post by chad »

I got a new 128x128 SSD1351 oled display.

It works in software mode but SPI on my arm (big surprise) doesn't work.

Chad

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Re: SSD1351 SPI ARM

Post by LeighM »

Hi,
Yes, ARM SPI works differently to our traditional processor interface.
It uses buffered transactions, so we possibly need to consider an option setting, or auto detection of ARM, in all SPI based components.
Another item for the to do list stack.
Leigh

chad

Post by chad »

Hi Leigh,

Hope you had happy holidays!

Ok, so hardware SPI doesn't work. It might be easier to tell me what hardware preferials actually do work. So basically all of coms is broken and anything that uses serial. As well as anything that uses timing of any sort. Got it.

I am really not trying to be a pain but I have spent hundreds of dollars on this software, plan to spend more when things are working. I reported problems with components 57 days ago, all are still broken in some way or another. All I have done with the software so far is trouble shoot your components I haven't even started on the projects that I want to do.

The frustrating thing is that every E-blocks2 programmer has the same chip that I am using on it in the form of your GHOST ICD. The E-blocks ARM programer has a 401 on it. Same family. Someone there must know how to make arms work. Digging through your starm targets I see dates going back to 2011. That means this stuff has been broken for 8 years. At what point do you say," ok this stuff is broken, let's fix it "? It isn't like arm is some obscure architecture.

I really like FC. I like to be able to layout code visually. I works with how I think. It's frustrating, It has been three months and I can't use the tool that I paid for to make the things that I want to build.

/end rant

thank you..

chad

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

Hardware SPI does work on ST ARM, you just need to use the transaction commands of the SPI component.
(I think, unless I'm getting confused with Raspberry Pi :lol:
I'll check when back in office)
All other devices have lower level interfaces, we added the transaction code in order to support ARM. Because ARM does not have the low level control, components would need to be rewritten, which has not been seen as a priority because software mode is available. We usually try to react as quickly as we can when there is a specific need, depending upon complexity.

We haven't had ST ARM that long :D

chad

Post by chad »

I'm Just chomping at the bit to start working on my project. :)

The spi version does spit out data, and the prescaler does change the freqout. It is also an order of magnitude faster than the software spi, so i have high hopes that it might not be too hard to get going..
The thing I want to build is going to have around 100 ws2812's, 9 stepper motors, 9 12 bit i2c dac channels, 4 to 6 pwm led dimmer channels, 9 hall sensors, temp sensors, fan control, and use ~30 dmx channels, half a dozen analog inputs, some buttons and the oled display.
I need a fast chip, and all of the components to run efficiently as possible. I also need more pins than the arduino headers.

anyway, happy new year!

chad