V7 project to V8 Weirdness

Moderator: Benj

anzacinexile

V7 project to V8 Weirdness

Post by anzacinexile »

Hears one to make you think - its certainly driving me crazy.
The scenario is I brought in a successful V7 project into V8 as I could use a lot of the previously written code in my new project. I deleted a lot of macros and variables that I didn't need, recompiled but apart from the main block which ran fine, no macros were being called. After many hours of banging my head against the wall I completely deleted all macros and then rebuilt them exactly as before (same names, same calls etc) and the program now runs fine.
In an effort to make sure I wasn't losing the plot completely, I tried the same with another project with the same results - I had to delete all macros and rebuild before any macro calls would work.
......or have I lost the plot :shock:
Chris

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: V7 project to V8 Weirdness

Post by Steve »

Thanks for letting us know about this. Could you please post some simple examples that illustrate the problem and we will look to see what's going wrong.

anzacinexile

Post by anzacinexile »

Steve,
Many thanks for getting back, much appreciated.
I attach the original V7 project to which in V8, I removed the Eeprom, Display and Button macros and equivalent variables but after compilation, none of the remaining macro's were being called. I added a simple 1 second loop in the main body which ran fine but adding the same 1 second test to any of the maco's showed none were being called.
I deleted the boot macro completely and then rebuilt the macro exactly as before and it was then called successfully. I did the same with the remaining macros and the program is now running fine.
Weird :?
Dash Mk8a Left (18F46K22).fcfx
(24.67 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

I followed your steps (deleted the calls to those 3 macros and then deleted the macros) and I couldn't see anything wrong. The simulation enters the "Boot" macro correctly and the generated C code seems ok to me. I don't have your hardware so I can't test the actual execution.

Did the V8 version of the program work ok before you deleted those macros?

You seem to have a solution, but I'm happy to investigate further if you want me to. If you do, then it will help if you send 3 FCFX files (the original v7, the imported v8 before deleting the macros, and the v8 after you deleted the macros) as well as the C code files each of these generates when you select "compile to C".

anzacinexile

Post by anzacinexile »

Don't sweat it Steve, I don't want to take up your valuable time any further. I've got a work-around so lets put it down to the wind blowing in the wrong direction!
Interestingly, I did the same exercise but in V7 and it worked without issue so it is something to do importing into V8.
Thanks for looking into it - who said software was coldly logical!!!!
Chris