CoCo programing answers

Forum for users of the CoCo software produced by Matrix Multimedia in conjunction with Commotion Group.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

kayjpat

CoCo programing answers

Post by kayjpat »

Does anyone know of a book which supplies answers to the mimics. This used to be available in Flowol and it would help me as a non-programmer.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Re: CoCo programing answers

Post by Steve »

Hello.

The mimics are quite open-ended, so you can do what you want with them. Here are some questions that may help us give you an answer...

Is there a specific one you are working with?
Do you have a specific set of tasks in mind?
What age-group are your students?

kayjpat

Post by kayjpat »

Thank you Steve. I am struggling with the carpark. I cannot understand the purpose of inputs 2 and 3. I have made the barrier go up in response to input 1, and solved the count through 4 and 5, but I would like the barrier to go down automatically.

I also have no idea how to program the wait signal to both flash the red man and the wait sign and return the traffic light to red and bring up the green man.

Also can you take a procedure out of the multi-starts other than by deleting it and starting again.

My pupils are primary school year 5 and 6. You can see I am a hopeless case because although I know what I want the programs to do, I cannot see them in computer programing terms.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Ok, here are some (hopefully) helpful hints...

Car Park:
Inputs 2 and 3 indicate when the barrier is up or down and can be used to stop the motor when the barrier has reached its destination.

To make the barrier come down automatically, you need to wait for the car to pass through the beam. So once you have detected the car coming in (input 4 goes on), wait until input 4 turns off.

Traffic lights:
There is an example for this on the CD ("traffic_lights.coco") which should help.

Starting procedures can be selected and deselected by right-clicking the procedure (on the right hand side) and selecting "Set as starting procedure". When the procedure name is dark red, it indicates that it is a starting procedure.

I hope this info proves useful, and please feel free to ask for more advice.