Copy Protection

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

Gizmo

Copy Protection

Post by Gizmo »

Is Flowcode V3 going to use the same annoying copy protection where you have to have the CD mounted before Flowcode will launch?

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Not sure at this stage - we are looking into alternative methods (e.g. online activation) as a method of protecting software piracy.

If you or anyone else has suggestions on what to do on this front, I'd be very pleased to here them.

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Given the two options Steve, I'd prefer the online activation. In any case though, I'm always nervous about software that could become useless if the software company folds.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

I wouldn't worry on that score - if we do implement online activation, it will be a once-only process. And besides, we don't intend to fold any time soon, Gizmo!

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Well, that's what I meant Steve; at least it would be a once-only kinda thing.

But on my other thought, I already have a rather expensive software package that I couldn't transfer to my new computer because there isn't anybody on the other end to issue a challenge response. And I have a couple of hardware items with a "lifetime guarantee," only I didn't think that meant the lifetime of the company (now defunct). I don't think either of them intended for it to happen, but those things do.

I didn't intend to drag down the mood of the thread! :)

Ian

Post by Ian »

Gizmo wrote:Well, that's what I meant Steve; at least it would be a once-only kinda thing.

But on my other thought, I already have a rather expensive software package that I couldn't transfer to my new computer because there isn't anybody on the other end to issue a challenge response. And I have a couple of hardware items with a "lifetime guarantee," only I didn't think that meant the lifetime of the company (now defunct). I don't think either of them intended for it to happen, but those things do.

I didn't intend to drag down the mood of the thread! :)
We are aware of such issues and they will be taken into account.
We too have used authenticated software and have had such problems - e.g. Hardware linked code stopping working after a PC repair etc. Trying to get a key from a company over the holidays etc.

We are aiming for a method that helps secure our products but means you dont have to spend 10 mins searching for the CD every time, and doesnt leave you stuck when you need to re-install.

Hopefully we will find somethng that works for both parties.