8x8 LED dot matrix scrolling display

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

jgu1

8x8 LED dot matrix scrolling display

Post by jgu1 »

Hi everybody!

Is there anyone here who has tried to do a project with scrolling text in one or more 8x8 dot display, or whether there are examples in the flow code. I've tried searching the web and find many examples which are programmed in another language. I could imagine to be made ​​tables or the like. I've tried to draw and made ​​theories about this, but can not really get any ideas. Something like this:http: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS31K9jcZBM

Only with 8X8 dot LED display´s I have lot of these.

Best regard

Jgu1 :idea: :idea:

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: 8x8 LED dot matrix scrolling display

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The way to control something like this is to have a tight loop say controlled via an interrupt that simply reads a data array and outputs the contents to the 8x8 LEDs probably a byte at a time. The interrupt repeats say every 1-5ms and every time it runs it looks at a different array position and updates the value to one row or column on the display. When the interrupt has ran 8 times it starts again with the first row or column and so on.

Then all you have to do in your main program is send values to the data array and they will magically appear on the display.

I have a scaled up version of this in the form of a 24 LED RGB propellor clock which I hope to make available soon as an article. This has 24 LEDs multiplied by 120 segments x 2 (6-bit colour) to give an array of 5760 bytes.

Have a go at getting started and see if you get anywhere.
Let me know if you hit any walls.

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Ben! :)

Thanks for your thread. I'll try to draw and think. When I find out an idea, I'll announce it here-

I look forward to seeing your project, maybe I can borrow something from there.

Thank you and have a nice Easter. :D

Best regard

jgu1

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Let me know if you get stuck and I'll see if I can put together a quick example of how I would do things.