V5 Upgrade ?

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: V5 Upgrade ?

Post by Benj »

Thanks for the PM, should all be sorted for you now.

STibor

Post by STibor »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately I could not be downloaded, but I trust that you will be solving the problem.

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi everybody! :D :D :D

Finally, now I managed to get Ver.5 looks really great. Looking very forward to use and explore. Hope not too many bugs in it.

Just a question please: If I want to open an existing project made in ver.4 should I import or simply open an existing XX.FCF

And to you Bernard, thank´s for PM.

Best regard

jorgen :D :shock: :lol: :D

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Jorgen.
Hope not too many bugs in it.
So do we!
If I want to open an existing project made in ver.4 should I import or simply open an existing XX.FCF
You can do either. If it is a pic project, just opening the existing FCF is fine. v5 should be backwards compatable with v4 and below.

I hope you like the new version,

Jonny

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Jorgen

Just remember once you open a FC4 flowchart with FC5, you wont be able to open it again in FC4. So keep a backup.
Ive made a complete backup of all my FC4 files and archived them, just in case :)
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

nmindana

Re: V5 Upgrade / support

Post by nmindana »

I presume you would start a new forum for V5 users or will the present forum continue ?.

V5 looks great, downloaded but not tried it yet.

regards

Indana

JonnyW

Re: V5 Upgrade / support

Post by JonnyW »

Hello.
nmindana wrote:I presume you would start a new forum for V5 users or will the present forum continue ?
Yeah I believe the plan is to set up a forum for v5, which we will build up as more people upgrade to or buy v5. For now if you direct any issues to the v4 forums this will be OK.

Jonny

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi all! :D

Juuubbiii! :D :D

Finally I upgraded to Ver.5. It looks really exciting. I look forward to testing.

Already a question: If I have to work on a project from version 4.5 in the Ver.5 should I just open or import project :?: .

For you Bernard, thanks for the PM.

Best regard

jorgen

Crenwick

Post by Crenwick »

Hi Jorgen,

No problem :wink: , and thank you also.

I made a project today that seems to be fine, I will compile it tomorrrow to test it out because I found a little bug in the EEprom simulator (see other post).

But generally I find the new layout better and faster to work with :)

Kind regards,

Bernard
Bernard

Flowcode 6 / EB006-V9

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

jgu1 wrote: If I have to work on a project from version 4.5 in the Ver.5 should I just open or import project :?: .
Just open it.
Import in Flowcode is for a different type of microcontroller. E.g if you have Pic then you will have to import AVR etc.
Just remember if you save Flowchart with FC5 you will not be able to open Flowchart with FC4 any more.

There are lots of changes in FC5. A few you need to remember
1) There is there is only 1 type of calculation box which is for both integers & strings
2) If you want more than 1 PWM you will need to drag them down separately like you have to with ADC's. But at least if you have a chip with say 5 or more CCP channels you can assign all 5 (i think it was up to 10, but don't quote me on that :P ). You also need to make sure correct channel is selected and period register + prescaler divide match in both component properties.

3) Variables are now dragged from the window to the right of the calculation area.

Martin
Martin

Mac
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Mac »

I just upgraded to Flowcode Version 5 yesterday. To check out the new program, I opened a flowchart that worked well in Version 4.5, and everything looked very good on the screen. After JonnyW helped me fix a small problem, I loaded the flowchart into a PIC18F4550. The chip worked right away, but only in it's default mode and with at lease one observable irregular function. It would not response to outside commands via the RS232(0) pins and resetting the HP488 did not change things. I could monitor the commands going in and I could see regular default text coming out, so I know the baud rate is correct.

Below are 5 Serious warnings that show up in Compiler Messages and may have something to do with my problem. Two of these (3 and 4) I got when using Flowcode V4 and they did not seem to effect anything. A third Serious Warning I got while using V4 doesn't show up in the list, [ Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCI_CONCATENATE' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low) ]

1. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCI_SHEAD' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)
2. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCI_SCOPY' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)
3. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCM_USART' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)
4. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCD_RS2320_SendRS232String' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)
5. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'delay_us' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)

Any and All Help is Greatly Appreciated
Thank You Very Much. Mac :?

saschech@gmx.de

Post by saschech@gmx.de »

Hello Mac

"""The warning messages are saying that some functions are being called from your main routine and via an interrupt routine. If the code is only ever executed in main before the interrupts are enabled then there is nothing to worry about. If however the main code and the interrupt code could potentially run at the same time then this is a problem and could cause your microcontroller to crash or reset or do something else unpredictable."""
Regards
Ben Rowland
Matrix Multimedia
Benj
Matrix Staff

I fix it;put macros out of the int-macro >> set a global variable "int_was" inside the int macro>>build a new macro "to_do_at_a_int" put in the macros>>if int_was = macro`s..........."who you put out" call>> reset int_was on the end.

after done these,no more warning

Regards Wolfgang

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Hi Mac,

Wolfgang is correct and you should try to remove these warning messages.

Any routing called via an interrupt cannot also be called during the normal execution of a program. This includes your own macros, component macros or internal functions (such as delays and even multiplies and divides).

To get around this, your interrupt routines should simply set a global flag or do some simple processing on some global variables. These global values can then be acted upon within your normal program flow, preferably at a point in your program that is accessed regularly.

saschech@gmx.de

Hello Mathy

You wrote:
"I prefer try before purchase because I found lots of bugs in the V4 for pic and DsPIC" release so if it's possible, I prefer try a limited demo.
I am not your mean!!!!!

I dont no how many chip´s flowcode support......for test correctly with all cips , i think it is almost impossible

The matrix-team help in all cases!!!!!

A demo for user, how now flowcode, i think it is impossible to work with a demo, because in the most times the chip-type is not includet (ore macros) are blockt

I build with V5 a big project SPS and it work great,is mutch easyr to use , so i say,you can take V5 without any scruple....
Only the updatet "variable-types" up to 8!!!!!!!! is for me a "must take it""

Regards Wolfgang

fotios

Post by fotios »

Mac wrote:I just upgraded to Flowcode Version 5 yesterday. To check out the new program, I opened a flowchart that worked well in Version 4.5, and everything looked very good on the screen. After JonnyW helped me fix a small problem, I loaded the flowchart into a PIC18F4550. The chip worked right away, but only in it's default mode and with at lease one observable irregular function. It would not response to outside commands via the RS232(0) pins and resetting the HP488 did not change things. I could monitor the commands going in and I could see regular default text coming out, so I know the baud rate is correct.

Below are 5 Serious warnings that show up in Compiler Messages and may have something to do with my problem. Two of these (3 and 4) I got when using Flowcode V4 and they did not seem to effect anything. A third Serious Warning I got while using V4 doesn't show up in the list, [ Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCI_CONCATENATE' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low) ]

1. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCI_SHEAD' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)
2. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCI_SCOPY' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)
3. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCM_USART' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)
4. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'FCD_RS2320_SendRS232String' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)
5. Serious Warning: Possible sw stack corruption, function 'delay_us' called by more than one asynchronous thread (main/Task, interrupt, interrupt low)

Any and All Help is Greatly Appreciated
Thank You Very Much. Mac :?
Hi Mac
Though you received replies that cover your problem, let me to give you an example of what Wolfgang and Steve suggest. I had simillar "possible stack overflow" problem like you in my project "PGA2310 Audio preamplifier". I use both IOC (or PortB change state interrupt) and the RC5 component interrupt that is applied by default on port RB0. I use both methods to control my project, either manually thru the use of two switches and a rotary encoder or remotelly thru a remote control handset. So, both sources can cause a corresponding interrupt applied on the same function (e.g. MUTE, STBY etc). In my program, there are two necessary macros one for printing values on LCD display (GAIN_PRINT) and one to control the analog section of device (SERIAL_OUT). At first, in my program i had placed each interrupt to call these two macros. Then, i allways received warnings of "possible stack corruption" from PPP compiller during programing the MCU (is a P16F887 with just 8 level deep stack due to its small RAM of 8Kb). According to Steve suggestion - from yesterday - i created a new variable "VALUES_UPDATED". Now, each interrupt when occurs, instead to call "GAIN_PRINT" and "SERIAL_OUT" macros, it gives thru a calculation box a "1" at the variable "VALUES_UPDATED". Going further, In the main loop of my program i added a decision to check "IF VALUES_UPDATED = 1?" to turn the program route into the variables (in sequence) "GAIN_PRINT" and "SERIAL_OUT". That resolved the problem of "a possible" stack corruption (it is not necessary that will happens, but... you never know!). With few words, the "trick" (it is a trick, or programming technique) is the substitution of a direct calling of the macro from any of the interrupt sources, from a calling thru an "itermediate" like the variable "VALUES_UPDATED" that is placed inside the main loop where is checked continuously if it is "1" .
Hope you have understood, unless i will post a picture that shows it.
Fotis
Last edited by fotios on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards FOTIS ANAGNOSTOU

Mac
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Mac »

Thank you very much Benj.
Thank you very much Steve.
Thank you very much Wolfgang.
Thank you very much Fotios.
Thats a lot to think about. I'm still new at programming and don't know enough to ask questions yet, but I'm learning.
I think I get the idea of what needs to be done so things run sequentially and not at the same time. I'll do some more reading and study all the examples I can find.
Thanks Again, Mac

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Cheers Mac,

If you get stuck you know where we are :D

fotios

Post by fotios »

Benj wrote:If you get stuck you know where we are
stack - stuck! :lol:
From the few English that i know... Is this some sort of wordplay Ben?
Fotis
Best Regards FOTIS ANAGNOSTOU

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Fotios

"Stuck" used in this way means if you are having a problem you cannot solve. :)
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi all! :D

I have now tried to play with Ver.5. It looks just great. But if I may be allowed to come up with a little criticism, I preferred the texts of the various icons had been placed inside the icon in the same manner as in ver. 4th. For me, it may seem a little confusing texts stands beside icon and be harder to get an overview of a program. But ok, hopefully it is matter of habit.

Is here others who share the same views or is it just me. :?:

Best regard.

jorgen

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi jorgen,
I personally prefer on the outside, as you can see all the calculations without clicking on the component.
However you can get V5 to look like V4 default by going into View Menu and selecting Global options.
Select Annotations tab, then un-tick ‘Show annotations’ and select ‘Show text inside icons’.

Martin
Martin

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Martin! :D :D :D

Great, great, thank you.

Best regard

Jorgen.

saschech@gmx.de

Hi jorgen

On start with V5 ,i have had the thame emotion,bat after a short time it was ok.
With the mouse you can change the size and the position of the bubble for a better read.....
so i think it is better to read.

Regards Wolfgang

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi!

Thank you for all the good opportunities.

regard jgu

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

saschech@gmx.de wrote:With the mouse you can change the size and the position of the bubble for a better read.....
Also, just as a short hand, holding down shift and double clicking on the annotation bubble will make it maximum size, so all the text is shown, and reducing the size of the annotation down to its smallest size will cause it to be hidden for that icon.

Jonny