lcd display

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 2 and 3.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

herve

lcd display

Post by herve »

Hi, I use flowcode V2
It's seems that the macro made to display on LCD doesn't change when I change the data bits to RB4 to RB7, RS and E to PB2 and PB3 :
when I look the asm file the data are still RB0 to RB3, RS and E RB5, RB6.
Does anyone know this problem ? is there a patch.
thanks

jimhumphries

LCD Display

Post by jimhumphries »

I had the same problem when connecting the LCD to port C of a 16F786.

I found that RS and ENABLE can be assigned to any bit on the port and the LCD operation simulates just fine but, in reality, these assignments must be “hard wired” because the LCD didn't work when I moved everything to a PCB.

If went back and looked at the LCD help file and it does seem to imply that the connection order is "fixed". FlowCode seems to expect LCD EBABLE to be the highest bit – data 0 – 3 first, then RS, then ENABLE. When I corrected the PCB and firmware to connect D0, D1, D2, D3 to RC0, RC1, RC2 and RC3 – then RS on RC4 and Enable on RC5 - everything worked.

Jim

Ian

Post by Ian »

We have been looking at the LCD component to see what the problem was.

We found that there is indeed an error in the LCD component. The Pins are indeed hardcoded at the moment. (Amazed that it hasn't been spotted before.)

We are working on an update to the LCD component to fix this at the moment.
I will post a message as soon as we get the updated component done.

Ian

Post by Ian »

We have a patched LCD Component on the website ready for downloading.

You can download the patch from:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/softwar ... isplay.zip

You should now be able to use custom connections, useful for getting around the LVP/Pin B3 issue.

jimhumphries

Post by jimhumphries »

Thanks Ian. I'll download the patch.

Jim

jimhumphries

Post by jimhumphries »

Steve:

There is an neat little Epson 4 X 12 character LCD available from earthlcd.com for around $6 but it uses the Seiko SED1230 type controller rather than the Hitachi. Can v3 be made to support either type controller without extensive extra effort?

Jim

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Jim,

I'm afraid I don't have a clue without delving into the datasheet, and I can't afford the time to do this at the moment. It may be that the commands for the Seiko controller are compatible with the Hitachi one, and will work as it is - only close inspection of the datasheet and actually giving it a go with FlowCode will tell.

The other potential pitfall is that it is a 4x12 display. At the moment, the FlowCode LCD component is limited to 2x16 - although I do want to address this limitation in v3 of FlowCode.