LED Cube

A forum where Flowcode v6 user created components can be shared, discussed and reviewed.

Moderator: Benj

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: LED Cube

Post by Steve001 »

Benj wrote: a fairly hefty sterling engine.
Now there is a project :D :D

Steve
Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Yep it certainly is, going to have a go when I get some time but not sure how far I will get.

Posted the first blog on the cube here: http://matrixmultimedia.com/blog/?p=438

Probably going to have 3 blog posts in total, first one explaining the project and specifying components etc. Second building the cube and testing. Third finishing the component, exporting, scripting via a file on an SD card, Creating visualisation effects.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Few updates over the holidays, the cube is now built and tested but not yet wired up to my controller circuit. Maybe a job for tonight.
20131224_120311.jpg
20131224_120311.jpg (381.23 KiB) Viewed 25115 times
20131227_170327.jpg
20131227_170327.jpg (262.93 KiB) Viewed 25115 times
20131231_161631.jpg
(366.68 KiB) Downloaded 4498 times
As soon as I have the cube up and running I will publish blog 2 detailing the build and test stage.

Jordy101091

Post by Jordy101091 »

Looks quite good ben.
Keep up the good work :wink:
Its an interesting project, im certainly going to follow this one.
Regards Jordy
the will to learn, should not be stopped by any price

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Steve001 »

i will be watching this project too ,

what is the red jig made from ?

steve

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Looking at the structure of the red jig my bet is that it has been (3D) printed :)
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Yep I designed and 3D printed the jig using sketch up but there is a different approach using pieces of wood and bluetac here if anyone wants to do this but doesn't have access to a printer.

http://www.hownottoengineer.com/project ... -cube.html

As of last night the cube is now pretty much fully up and running. Will post some pics later on today when I get a min.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Some more pics, currently using an ECIO40 for testing but likely to move to a new dsPIC EP microcontroller target to do the fancy animations for blog no 3.
20140105_222932.jpg
Overview of the Cube (upside down) all LEDs white
(454.97 KiB) Downloaded 4449 times
Photo of the neatened up wiring boxed off under the cube
Photo of the neatened up wiring boxed off under the cube
20140106_001107.jpg (484.94 KiB) Viewed 25066 times
Photo showing some of the reflections generated by adding the mirrored tint to the glass casing
Photo showing some of the reflections generated by adding the mirrored tint to the glass casing
20140105_223256.jpg (452.2 KiB) Viewed 25066 times
Blog no 2 will likely be published this week or next depending on when I find some time to sit down and write it up.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Here is the current component with the embedded side code in place. Not quite as generic as I would like at the moment as your limited by the connections on what max size is possible. I can make extra hidden properties but I think I need to have a think about the best way to do this to allow for any size.
LEDCUBE.fcfx
LED Cube Component Source
(475.83 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
LEDCube.fcpx
LED Cube Component
(18.13 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
Also included below is my test routine for the ECIO40P. Unfortunately the max array size of 256 on a 8-bit PIC is very limiting and so the component won't work with the ECIO40P. I might have a go at modding the FCD so as to make a idx2 version but this will likely add significant overhead so much better to run on a AVR, ARM or dsPIC.
TestProg-ECIO40P.fcfx
Very basic test program
(11.43 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
For my final version I plan to use a dsPIC33EP device which will hopefully be rolled out in ECIO format. Best option for now for others might be the ARM ECIO or to use the AVR or dsPIC multiprogrammer E-blocks and a EB016/EB017 board to do the connectivity to the external circuitry. Any opinions on this? Need at least 1K of RAM to host an 8x8x8 display and probably a further 1k to allow functions like shift and wrap or rotate to work.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The latest blog post is now online detailing my progress so far.
http://matrixmultimedia.com/blog/?p=454

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Right I've added some double buffering to the component to make visualisations a bit easier and created my first application program running on a dsPIC33EP256MU806 device. The only visualisation I have done so far is coloured rain with lightning.
Attachments
LEDCUBE.fcfx
Component Source
(488.75 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
TestProg2-dsPIC33EP256MU806.fcfx
Test Prog 2 - Coloured Rain with Lightning
(25.1 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
LEDCube.fcpx
Component Export
(16.54 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Ok we now have fully working rotations and Jonny has added a fire effect into the mix of animations.

I'll post the program once it's been cleaned up and merged into a single demo file. Still lots to do, going to try and rig up a microphone and get the FFT DSP routines on the case. There was also mention of a snake style game using an accelerometer&gyro to control it, maybe via bluetooth?

If the simulation is running slowly for you at the moment then we are thinking of a mod to the point cloud to allow the size of the points to be altered. This should vastly speed up things no end. Until we do this it might be worth enabling the OpenGL hardware setting in the global options to see if this helps things at all.

I have found a couple of minor issues with my current setup.

1) The LEDs are great but not amazingly bright and vivid. I thought this was down to the darlington transistor common drivers I was using but looking at the specs of the anode flip flops I noticed that the max current per channel was a poor 8mA. To get around this I have altered the BOM slightly to use these alternative parts.

1652006 48 TEXAS INSTRUMENTS SN74AC574N LOGIC, FLIP FLOP OCTAL D 3ST, 20DIP 24mA per channel
2317603 16 ON SEMICONDUCTOR NTD4963N-35G MOSFET, N CH, 30V, 44A, TO-251-4

2) I am still getting the odd bit of cross talk between channels so I might have a go at some shielding for the ribbon cable while I am back inside the inner workings.

I've also ordered a 5V 3A DC adapter plug type supply, not sure if it will cope with the current requirements of my new drivers but it was quite cheap so worth a go.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Quick video of progress so far.
[/youtube]

I'll post the files for this tomorrow.

I also messed up again with the FETs it seems :( getting strange results with them anyway so sticking with the TIP122 transistors for now though I have changed all the driver ICs over to the new chip now. Need to work on my FET and MOSFET knowledge I think as they still seem a bit hit and miss to get right.

Cube is now on it's way to BETT for a week without me so fingers crossed it makes it back in one piece so I can carry on. If anyone is attending BETT then be sure to look out for it and the other creations we have put together to try and bring in the crowds.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Here are the files,
Attachments
Demo1.fcfx
Demo using dsPIC33EP256MU806 device running at 60MIPs
(60.18 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
LEDCUBE.fcfx
LED Cube Component Source
(517.8 KiB) Downloaded 1414 times
LEDCube.fcpx
LED Cube Exported Component
(17.21 KiB) Downloaded 1410 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Ben,
Benj wrote:Quick video of progress so far.
I was well impressed with the youtube video.
After watching it, I thought the effort placed in making the cube has really paid off.

Made me want to make one now!
Martin

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Thanks Martin, I'm quite pleased with the result too. Still getting the odd glitch problem but on the whole it seems fine and the processor just eats everything we've thrown at it so far. Not been able to run at full brightness yet but looking forward to this assuming my 3A PSU can handle it (already making some funny noises).

Running at 60MIPs so not flat out and each animation currently has around a 80ms delay as part of the loop so loads of room for improvement. Loving these 16-bit EP PIC chips, multiple remappable peripherals plus tonnes of processing power = happy Ben.

I would recommend building one, it's quite therapeutic if you take your time and not rushing through. I have a load of the processor boards still so give me a shout if you want to road test one.

Half way through building my next project now which is a three paneled infinity table using some RGB LED ribbon.

4m WS2812B Digital RGB LED Strip, 240 Addressable Pixels with embedded WS2811 IC
380798203184_1.jpg
380798203184_1.jpg (5.49 KiB) Viewed 24920 times
I'll post a photo later tonight as it's pretty much built with LEDs now.

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Steve001 »

Looking good benj

Steve

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Ben,
Benj wrote:assuming my 3A PSU can handle it
Have you thought of using a PC PSU?
Loads of scap PC's still have a working PSU's .
For e.g I have a spare 5V 16A psu that will also produce 12V @6A and 12V @10A (Fan cooled :P )
If you would like it FOC then let me know.
BTW if you do decide to use a PC PSU then you just connect the green wire to a black wire (AXT type) to make it fire up.
Benj wrote: I have a load of the processor boards still so give me a shout if you want to road test one.
Thanks for the offer Ben, your really starting to tempt me :lol:

Your cube I would imagine would be good at exhibitions for advertising Matrix Multimedia, and you could scroll text stating "Easily created by Flowcode V6" etc.
Maybe Matrix can let you make another in works time for that purpose :P

Martin
Martin

Steve001
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Steve001 »

if your interested bellow a link for a high powered atx breakout board that has 25A Anderson Powerpole connectors and terminal blocks, includes parts list gerbers etc

http://blog.curioussystem.com/2010/10/a ... out-board/

Steve

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Steve001 wrote:if your interested bellow a link for a high powered atx breakout board that has 25A Anderson Powerpole connectors and terminal blocks, includes parts list gerbers etc
Another option would be The ATXbench-top power supply adapter board. Complete kits available.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Cheers for the comments. Thought about using a pc supply got a few lying about here but didnt want the noise from the fan. Will have to have a play and see what works a fan noise is probably a lot better then a wall adapter whining in a high frequency pitch.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Just about finished the infinity table now so here is a quick vid showing off what it can do so far. Pretty happy with it but the infinity effect is not as good as I would have hoped at the mo using tinted glass at both sides. Adding another mirror underneath where the effect currently ends gives a very good effect and extends the illusion right through the floor but means I have to shop around again to find a mirror the right size. Looked into silvering glass to make a mirror and it maybe looks do-able but getting hold of the chemicals might be a challenge.

[/youtube]

I was going to make a component to drive the LED ribbon but in the end the timing is so critical I'm not completely sure how to pull this off. I had to use a scope in the end to tweak the number of nops required to get within the tolerance of 800KHz. A tight assembler loop would do it but don't really fancy writing specific AVR or ARM assembler to make a complete component. Some people use DMA and/or CCP interrupts which is how we currently do servo control. I know how much of a pain this is to do cross platform so might put it on a list to look at when I've got more time, otherwise it's just asking for support issues.

Can't share the source yet as it has been done in a version that's not currently compatible with the released 6.0.4. Hopefully an update is coming shortly, think the automated installation process was sorted earlier today so we can start to roll out full installs rather then having to keep patching as this has issues removing files.

More good news, got my LED cube back in one piece from BETT now so can start to work on the next blog post and adding some nice FFT audio based animations. It was switched on all day every day at the show and ran without any problems so looks like the design is stable long term and the DC adapter was up to the task (even if it was audibly whining a bit). It was also packaged very well for the journey which probably has a lot to do with it surviving.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Steve001 wrote:
Benj wrote: a fairly hefty sterling engine.

Steve
Just come across this which looks interesting.
http://www.scraptopower.co.uk/can-stirl ... -generator

Combined with my generator project here could be interesting.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:55321

I'll keep looking.

tech

Post by tech »

Hi Benj,

Would it be possible to post on the forum or post me a PM, the Flowcode v6 file to control LED WS2812? :?

thank you

Chris

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Chris,

The LED is a WS2812B which I think is slightly different but here is the file. It might not currently open in your version of the software (6.0.4) but we are working towards a release which will resolve this problem. The C file might help for now.
InfTable3.fcfx
(51.76 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
InfTable3.c
(36.87 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
The LED control is all done in the Refresh macro.