Windows10 Access violation errors

Moderator: Benj

lexicon
Flowcode v5 User

Windows10 Access violation errors

Post by lexicon »

I'm using Flowcode V5.5.2.1
Since moving to a Windows 10 system I get regular, but unpredictable, Access violation errors which terminate the Flowcode instance.
These are accompanied by a window named "AlphaImageControl" containing "Run-time error '91': Object variable or With block variable not set".
Sometime when this happens I see that a graphic icon on the Panel has diagonal lines through it (as can just be seen in the attached screenshot).

I've tried Windows troubleshooting & compatibility options but to no avail.

Any suggestions please?
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
FC5_stop.jpg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 11198 times

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Windows10 Access violation errors

Post by Benj »

Hello,

It might be worth trying to install the various .net packages from Microsoft to see if one of these helps to solve the problem.

A program like Dependency Walker might help to pinpoint the specific library or resource you're missing.

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

lexicon
Flowcode v5 User

Post by lexicon »

Hi Ben, thanks for the suggestions.

Which .net version would be recommended for Flowcode V5? I currently have 3.5 (which claims to include 3.0 & 2.0) and also 4.6 installed.

I tried running dependency walker but it flags a lot of missing DLLs as I gather it doesn't really support Win10.
Ignoring the ones that are 'expected' with Win10, I'm not really seeing anything untoward.
If a library/resource was missing, wouldn't the fault be reasonably predictable/reproducible?
I've had two instances today. The first as soon as I started Flowcode so I didn't get the opportunity to actually do anything, and the second after about 8 hours use.

The major irritation is, if I don't save on a regular basis, I lose any changes when it crashes.

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

Flowcode v5 is quite old now, so we are limited in the support we can offer. However, I did a bit of internet searching and I believe the link below *might* offer a solution:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-ba ... -p/6468330

This involves a registry fix and so I advise caution and suggest you only try this if you are familiar with the registry and are happy to take the risk that comes with editing it. I also notice this involves turning the UAC feature of Windows off and that might pose a security risk, so again please be aware of the risks involved.

If you do try it, can you please post back with any results so others might benefit.

With regards,
Steve.

lexicon
Flowcode v5 User

Post by lexicon »

Hi Steve, thanks for the input.
I tried the UAC registry fix but it did not change the behaviour unfortunately (although it has 'broken' a few things e.g. MS Store Apps no longer run under Admin user).

I will discuss upgrade options with the powers that be - it has been on the cards for a while anyway.

Regards,
Martin.

lexicon
Flowcode v5 User

Post by lexicon »

Just an update on this: in recent months the V5 crashes appear to have stopped so I'm assuming some Windows 10 update fixed the issue.

We've now upgraded to FC7 anyway :)