FC7 free limitations

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 7.

Moderator: Benj

Docara

FC7 free limitations

Post by Docara »

HI

I've just hit the maximum of 4 macros in FC7 free!!!

I thought that this new version was unlimited apart from commercial use and very limited supported chips - is this correct?

Edit - Further to my original post - I have just found out that the maximum number of blocks is 20 block in the free version. How can someone properly evaluate or learn the product with such restrictions? I have downloaded a number of examples from the forum demonstrating certain techniques only to find out they do not run

Come on guys play fair just block the compiling / programming part in the free version - let us get to play / learn unimpeded then when we are ready to use it in anger we will have to buy it and probably a programming board too.

Matt
Last edited by Docara on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EtsDriver

Re: FC7 free limitations

Post by EtsDriver »

Flowcode v7 datasheet wrote:Free
Flowcode 7 also includes a completely free version. The free version of Flowcode is designed to give
home users and those wanting an evaluation version of the software, access to a feature limited
version of Flowcode 7
Docara wrote:I thought that this new version was unlimited apart from commercial use and very limited supported chips - is this correct?
No, the standard licence is unlimited. Free is meant to be a trial/for small peek on how flowcode could make your life easier. Some people can make great projects on free version! :)
Flowcode v7 datasheet wrote:Standard
A ‘standard’ user of Flowcode is
someone who wishes to develop
applications at home. A standard
user licence does not give the user
commercial rights
; commercial
rights can only be achieved
by purchasing a professional
Flowcode licence.
Flowcode v7 datasheet wrote: Professional
A ‘professional’ Flowcode user is
someone who is using Flowcode
code in commercial products
or is working in a commercial
environment
. These type of users
must select a professional licence.
Flowcode v7 datasheet wrote:Academic
Academic licences are available
to Schools/Colleges/Teachers and
Students.
Available in 1, 10 and 50
user versions with large discounts.
Academic pricing can only be
found by contacting Matrix, or
your local distributor direct. All
academic licences are perpetual,
meaning users do not have to pay
an annual fee for their licence.
Ill just keep the good work up!

Docara

Post by Docara »

HI

I don't want to 'develop' applications at home (yet)

I'm trying to learn FC and on a limited budget - how can I justify hundreds of pounds without knowing if it's something you'll use / are able to use.

Surely a better way would be

a) Inhibit programming
b) Limit compiled programme size (you can only programme 1K to chip)

Matt

EtsDriver

Post by EtsDriver »

Docara wrote: Surely a better way would be

b) Limit compiled programme size (you can only programme 1K to chip)
The FC7 is doing this, the amount of icons and macros is limited to limit your program size?

Docara

Post by Docara »

Actually

From https://www.matrixtsl.com/flowcode/

FREE version

A free version of Flowcode is available which is excellent for learning programming, developing applications at home or for prototyping designs. With no obligation or time limit, this free version can be used to do some really useful projects. For users working in commercial environments or education, professional and academic licences are available through the Flowcode buy pages or by contacting us.
No where does it say the limitations of the free version notice the phrase "NO OBLIGATION" this phrase does not necessarily means 'to purchase' it can also mean 'without limits'

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hi Guys,

In this context I believe "no obligation" means there is no obligation to buy or spend any money with us to use the free version. However the constraints of the free version will remain in force e.g. the icon and macro count limitation.

I will have a chat about this and see if we can find a more acceptable limit. 20 icons in a macro does sound a little on the low side.

How many icons / macros would you like to see available in the free version?
I'm trying to learn FC and on a limited budget - how can I justify hundreds of pounds without knowing if it's something you'll use / are able to use.
Assuming no upgrade discounts a home license of Flowcode with rights to compile to one chip family would cost you only £80 plus an optional extra £30 for any component packs you require. We think this price is an absolute steal and helps to pay for all our good work in taking Flowcode forwards in terms of support, features and improvements.

EtsDriver

Post by EtsDriver »

Disable Compile to c, hex buttons :lol:

Free users 30icons/4 macros sounds okay. + main loop 30 icons max?

Free should implement forced registration under users name or some kind computer harware id based licence that after 30 days chip programming trial expires, ads and nag about benefits of standard edition after 30days... :D

Or only allow compile to 16F88, 16F877 and 16F1937 x)

Steve
Matrix Staff

Post by Steve »

There will never be a correct answer to this - what's appropriate for one person will be very different to the opinion of another.

The current "free" version is not right yet. This will allow compilation to a number of targets and will be usable for many low-level projects even with a limit of 80 icons (4 macros x 20 icons).

In addition, we will have a full 30-day trial in place in the next few months. This will unlock all features and chippacks for a limited period to allow proper evaluation before purchase.

Stanga

Post by Stanga »

A 30 day free trial would be ideal for the likes of me. I am currently having to keep using V4, V5, and V6 alongside each other for numerous reasons. The most important one of them is that every time I bought a version after V4 I had to put up with limitations of the free version that prevented me from finding out if my old codes would compile OK with the latest FC version. The only way to find out was to buy the full version. I have a number of commercial products out there that are running on firmware that was written using the various versions of FC.

Slobodan

Post by Slobodan »

Hi. I am an electronics engineer who knows hardware, but knows absolutely nothing about programming. I want to learn to program Microchip PIC microcontrollers, so I can make projects that require microcontrollers. I tried to learn C/C++, but I was unable to, because I did not understand it (I am useless at software, as being a strictly hardware guy). So, I just discovered FlowCode yesterday, and it looks easy for what I need.

I have downloaded and installed a FREE version. I have read this topic, but I still don't understand what are the limitations of the free version.

- It limits the number of blocks (1 block is like "input" or a "switch" and so on, right)? To how many?
- Limits the number of supported PICs? From what I have seen in program, the list is still generous.
- It limits the size of hex file? To what size?
- The compiler is less efficient (like what Microchip does with their free version of MPlab?), and will produce larger hex file? Also, does FlowCode in general produce lager hex file than C++ would? Since it still needs (I assume) to translate to C, then to Asembler, then to machine code?

Are there a good tutorials for FlowCode 7? I have started watching this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxXGRLhGL5g It looks good, but it is for version 5.

If I manage to learn to program PICs using FlowCode, I will probably buy it, if the free version is too limited.

Slobodan

Post by Slobodan »

I have just tried my first ever code (simple turn ON turn OFF LED), and it does not even let me compile that in free version. -_-

Well, since the standard version is on 50% discount, I will buy it. But I literary just started learning FlowCode (programming) today.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi Welcome to Flowcode :D

if you are using an example program that was created in earlier versions of FC it can be an issue why it does not compile
Please post the project Flowchart you are trying to compile.

Slobodan

Post by Slobodan »

Hi. No, it is not an example program, I just made it quickly to try it out.

Anyway, I have bought a standard licence, but I can not activate my account in order to enter it. So, I am waiting for Matrix to help me with that.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

The free version should compile your project please post it and we can help you get it working
as for your issue with the activation Matrix staff will help

Slobodan

Post by Slobodan »

Here it is.

BTW, I clicked on button to make .hex file, but it just made .C file. Hmm...
Attachments
LED ON OFF (PIC12F629 Port A.0).fcfx
(7.49 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Hi Attached is your project modified that it will constantly flash the led at pin A0

(1)You can run the file ib Simulation mode by pressing the arrow key then you project is executed in simulation
(2) once you are happy with your project and simulation you can generate a hex file by going to build >> compile to hex which you will see the compiler window opening and generating the hex file ,with this hex file you need to program into your chip with programmer
(3) When you have a MATRIX or PiCkit3 programmer you can set it up as the programmer in flowcode and then you use the option compile to chip where the hex file will be generated and flashed into the chip if it is connected
all these option are working fime with your example project however to have a useful program you need to have a continues loop as I did in your project compare main with yours
Attachments
Blink Led.rar
(36.38 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (112.91 KiB) Viewed 12244 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (32.36 KiB) Viewed 12244 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 12244 times

Slobodan

Post by Slobodan »

Thank you.

Yes, I forgot to add a loop.

For me, it did not generate hex file, but generated c file, when I clicked on compile to hex. It is giving me message: "You do not have a valid licence to perform this action". (See attachment)
I did not yet activated the paid licence, it is still free version.

I have PICKit 2 clone. I wanted to try if it works with FlowCode, and if it works at all.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (99.04 KiB) Viewed 12241 times

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi Slobodan,
The free version will only allow you to compile with a limited number of target devices.
I don't know all of them, but I do know 16F88 and 16F1937 are two of them.
12F series are not, that's why it won't compile

Martin
Martin

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Martin
The free version will only allow you to compile with a limited number of target devices.
Thank you that was totally out of my mind at this point good to realize it again

Slobodan

Post by Slobodan »

Thanks.