Suggestions to improve the content/delivery of Unit 6

A place to discuss any problems, issues or questions surrounding the E-blocks BTEC Unit 6 course.

Moderator: Benj

The G

Suggestions to improve the content/delivery of Unit 6

Post by The G »

I'll start this off...

- this one is for Matrix - for the eBlocks/Flowcode introduction guide - have a separate teacher and student edition. Teachers should be given access to all solutions, which would allow us to work backwards when some part of the theory/explanation does not make sense. Sometimes being able to see something work helps more.
G

The G

Re: Suggestions to improve the content/delivery of Unit 6

Post by The G »

- This one is for all teachers/centres who deliver the unit: share helpful resources or links (for example the very helpful sheep stuff from Q Branch). This should however be done on an access controlled section of the site where only teachers have access...
G

Q Branch

Re: Suggestions to improve the content/delivery of Unit 6

Post by Q Branch »

Thanks for your comments - and I agree on several levels.
I work in what is/was a mechanical engineering department in a FE college, so anything that's got electronics, microprocessors, science or maths falls on my desk as I'm the only non-mechanical member of staff here. Also, I seem to have become some sort of unofficial "go to guy" from neighbouring colleges about anything related to unit 6. I'm no expert on unit 6 - I'm just reading the same Pearson material as everyone else and trying to make the missing pieces of the jigsaw as best I can.

With that in mind, I'm building the material as I go because there's nothing or very little anywhere else.
I could do with more time to get things polished, but I'm setting it free - open source style in a rough(ish) state on the basis that something is better than nothing at all.

The way I used the sheep counting solution was to give the students hints and suggestions as they struggled with the problem. Ideally, I would like to have a student workbook with the hints, tips and underpinning knowledge and a teacher only book of sample solutions with notes.

I've got a few more posts like the sheep counting solution to go, before I can attack the egg timer sample assessment material.
Watch this space :wink: