FC8

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

maxtisc

FC8

Post by maxtisc »

hello to the whole team
I just wanted to point out that FC7 was released even 2 years ago, and I do not understand the reason to get out an FC8 that at first sight does not seem to differ much from FC7, it was better to expand the FC7 by paying the new features? how the raspberry? is not that now there will be no more updates like you did with FC6 when FC7 came out?
it seems to me only a commercial operation
thanks

maharadga

Re: FC8

Post by maharadga »

I am of the same opinion.

Kenrix2
Flowcode v5 User

Post by Kenrix2 »

I had a different reaction to the release.

Simulating C code... this is awesome!

Where is the buy button?

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Kenrix2 wrote: I had a different reaction to the release.
Simulating C code... this is awesome!
Same with me I have a different reaction .
Simulation C
Creating an Icon from your C code
Code Folding

That you only need to install the tool-chains you use is awesome not having compilers automatically installed sitting on your HD and you never touch them .
Although I would also like to see some more common components /sensor support ,I think Mikro-Electronica has a good example of how to create reasons for people to use your Tools with their click board series it is wide and all supported with libraries (which is a component in FC actually) in their tools our eblock rage is limited and some of the sensors used is the most expensive on the market example the Wiznet WiFi it is very expensive

Any case there and many good reasons to upgrade from FC7 to FC 8 :D

Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

With every new 'paid for' release of (any) software, I always need to justify if the new features are of value to me.
To fully upgrade my FC7 to FC8 is around 350GBP. I use FC in a mix of personal and some small commercial applications so I appreciate my position is different to some pure hobby users.

For me a major new release very 2 years done not seem to bad, as a user you may not want every new feature but your not just purchasing the latest FC8 features, its the on-going support from the staff in the forums, the minor bug fixes that are resolved 'on the fly' for free during the lifetime of a version. I totally agree the FC documentation is not always the best but the Forum support is second to none.

As most of us are aware, just a few employees puts a huge on-going burdon on a company, So from my perspective; Yes, they do need to charge for new features and the continued support, or else the product is not financially viable.

You are not being required to upgrade to FC8. FC7 will still be strongly supported for quite a long while yet, so you have a choice.

You can upgrade just parts of your install and do it incrementally... this is highly flexible in my opinion. Ans If you compare to many other professional software packages, Matrix offer a pretty darn good compromise.
Not arguing, Just a view point. I run plenty of other things on a shoe-string budget! :) J.

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

I run plenty of other things on a shoe-string budget! J.
I can only agree with this,I know the feeling keeping things like labVIEW and Proteus running cost quite a bit more per year than the once in 2 year upgrade from FC :D .AT Matrix we have the very close interaction of the Matrix team in the Forum which is not the case in many other expensive SW packages .
I am a happy FC user and actually since Feb 2017 abandoned the other mcu tools chains only working in FC now :D :D

mnf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mnf »

I agree - despite only having had Flowcode 7 for less than a year...

The new features look to give a compelling reason to upgrade (code folding/grouping does it for me along with the automatic upgrades).

A few things irritate - upgrading some packs isn't half price (the AVR pack has split into two (and sensor component pack)) so need to buy two packs to get the same functionality (which should each be 75% off?). Similarly with component packs - I'd like to see the chip and component packs split into something much more granular, so I could just purchase the individual items that I use (say for £1-£5 to purchase the bluetooth functionality or an individual chip support). I notice that i2c master and i2c slave are in different comms packs too :-(. There are large number of the components I'll never use (Grove) - but I need to purchase the complete pack for one or two items.

I'd like to suggest a subscription type model - Matrix get a guaranteed income, and users could licence (individual) components or packs as required... Something on Steam would open the software to a much larger audience too!

Martin