Component Variable ICON list

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 8.

Moderator: Benj

johnsondav

Component Variable ICON list

Post by johnsondav »

Hi Everyone
Please, can anyone help me find the specific Wiki page which gives details of the icons used for - Properties Variables, as shown below. I mean, what is L+; Z+ b; B etc. I am sure B is for byte and b is for bit, but I am left guessing here.
If you look at those shown below, I am left wondering what the differences are between certain variables listed. I am trying to do a new tutorial for building components and although I am using these variables, I am unable to be very specific as to what those icons are.
Component properties.png
(155.76 KiB) Downloaded 1621 times
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :idea:

Dave

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Component Variable ICON list

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

The letters b /B / Z etc refer to the type of variable etc. If you "add new" variable you will get a list of available types (Integer / Byte etc).

Boolean = b
Byte = B
Integer = Z
Unit = Z+
Long = L
Ulong = L+
String = S
Floating Point = R
Object Handle = H

Hope this helps,
Regards

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

In addition to the above post. If you select add variable then the valid range of variables with be shown.
Martin

johnsondav

Post by johnsondav »

Hi chipfryer27

Yes, let me further explain. I know what the variables are, but, if I am to give directions to a new user for further reading on variables, where do I send them for help. I am trying to write a tutorial which by definition must be specific and precise, not left guessing. Those icon definitions which you describe, where is the Wiki page? I cannot find one anywhere.

the method you describe on my system does not work as shown here:
Variable.png
(30.58 KiB) Downloaded 1612 times
I need to have clear and precise/detail instructions, as someone is going to ask the same question and I will not be able to give further guidance.

Dave
Last edited by johnsondav on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi

Whilst I didn't find any reference either, I'm sure you have looked at https://www.matrixtsl.com/wiki/index.ph ... able_Types which explains in detail each type.

You could "prove" the meaning of each symbol by simply creating a variable and viewing variables in Project Explorer. When you "Add New" you are given a choice of variable type, although in that window it doesn't specifically say that a Byte will be assigned the symbol "B". Once created however you will see the assigned symbol beside the variable when viewed in Project Explorer.

Perhaps as an assignment ask your students to create a variable called "test" and assign different types to it, noting which symbol is used for which? Just a thought.

Regards

johnsondav

Post by johnsondav »

Hi chipfryer27

Thank you for your replay, it's very much appreciated. The process you describe is what we all do, but I am trying to avoid that method.

The reason is, when someone is trying to decide a strategy for dealing with a variable that e.g. contains information regarding colour:
- blue; green; red, it is in 24bit format. This colour information is stored in one variable from the - Properties colour picker and it's a variable longer than 1 byte. It's not obvious by just simply looking at the variable name - but that icon does give the information you need to begin variable bit manipulation to extract each byte of colour information.

I'm being pedantic I know, but it's an important point none the less.

Dave

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention we do try and put a lot of work into the support wiki but it's often too easy to ignore the smaller things.

I've now added the variable icons to the wiki page you mentioned.
https://www.matrixtsl.com/wiki/index.ph ... able_Types

I will see if I can also do the property variable icons tomorrow. There are more of those :D

Please let us know if you spot more areas that could do with improvement and we will do our best to help.

johnsondav

Post by johnsondav »

Hi Benj

Thank you for your very quick response. The information shown for variables is what I needed to help show appropriate methods for bit manipulation techniques. :D

Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards
Dave