Illegal symbol name

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

Mac
Flowcode V4 User

Illegal symbol name

Post by Mac »

I just upgraded to Flowcode Version 5. To check out the new program, I opened a flowchart that worked well in Version 4.5, all looked good on the screen. I tried to load the flowchart into the PIC18F4550 and got the following failure message.

FlowcodeV5 IRCB 2012-01-16.c
Starting preprocessor: C:\PROGRA~1\Flowcode\v5\Tools\boostc\pp.exe "FlowcodeV5 IRCB 2012-01-16.c" -i C:\PROGRA~1\Flowcode\v5\Tools\boostc\include -d _PIC18F4550 -la -c2 -o "FlowcodeV5 IRCB 2012-01-16.pp" -v -d _BOOSTC -d _PIC18 -d _CHAR_INDEX

C:\Program Files\Flowcode\v5\CAL\PIC\PIC_CAL_ADC.c(1588): Illegal symbol name: (

1 errors detected
Error: preprocessing error

failure

..Return code = 1
Flowcode was unable to compile the flowchart's C code due to the following errors:

If your flowchart contains C code, please review this carefully. If your flowchart contains no C-code or you have thoroughly reviewed the code, contact Technical Support.

FINISHED

I checked the chip settings and the compiler options. They all looked the same as with Version 4.5. I could not find any reference to "Illegal symbol name" on the forums.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Mac :?

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Illegal symbol name

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Mac
Can you post you flowchart so someone can have a look at it?
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

The .c code file that has been generated will be good as well.

EDIT: Actually, just noticed where the error is: PIC_CAL_ADC.c Dont worry about the C code (unless its handy), this can be looked into without this.

Jonny

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi. I'm sure someone will be able to add an official fix for this tomorrow, but if you need to get on with your work and this is holding things up:
  • Navigate to the folder with the Flowcode5_PIC.exe in it (C:\Program Files\Flowcode\v5, I think)
  • From there, open the CAL\PIC\PIC_CAL_ADC.c file in a text editor (notepad.exe should be fine)
  • On line 1588 you should see: #ifdef (MX_ADC_BITS_12)
  • Remove the brackets so the line reads: #ifdef MX_ADC_BITS_12
  • Save the file and rebuild your project
Apologies for not posting the fixed file myself, I am on holiday this week so cant guarantee I have the 100% up-to-date file. I wouldnt want to give you and out of date version!

I hope this helps,

Jonny

Mac
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Mac »

Thank you Jonny,
I'm reluctant to post the flowchart for proprietory reasons.
Mac

Mac
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Mac »

Jonny,
That fixed the loading problem, but now some of the flowchart functions don't work. I'll have to look into it and get back to the forum a little later.
Thanks again.
Mac

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Mac. No problems. Keep us posted on any issues you find - it is expected that there are some minor issues with the initial release but nothing major that should halt work. Most v4 flowcharts should load and work in v5 no problems but there are always corner cases we have not tested or did not expect. Any issues you do get and report we will sort as quickly as possible.

Jonny

Mac
Flowcode V4 User

Post by Mac »

Hi Jonny,
After you helped me fix the "Illegal symbol name" problem, I noted that some of the hardware functions didn't seem to work properly. I think this subject would best fit in the Re: V5 Upgrade thread, so I'll post it there.
Thanks again, Mac