How to use internal clock on 16F88 ?

For questions and comments on programming in general. And for any items that don't fit into the forums below.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

picnewbie

How to use internal clock on 16F88 ?

Post by picnewbie »

Hello

maybe a very simple question, how do I have to program the PIC16F88 to use it without external clock ?

I just want to use its internal clock at 8 MHz - I found a C instruction osccon := 0x7E; to be set through a flowcode C Command.

But then - how can I test with the EB-006 Multiprogrammer in the internal clock mode ?

And what setting do I have to apply in the PicMicro Configuration Page of PPPv3 ?

Sorry for the maybe to easy question - but I'm a real newbie in PIC Programming ;)

Best regards

PicNewbie

Enamul

Re: How to use internal clock on 16F88 ?

Post by Enamul »

But then - how can I test with the EB-006 Multiprogrammer in the internal clock mode ?
And what setting do I have to apply in the PicMicro Configuration Page of PPPv3 ?
EB006 should work normally nothing to change..but need to use osccon as you mentioned in c code box in the beginning of code..and the attached config..
Attachments
88.PNG
(27.23 KiB) Downloaded 2604 times
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

picnewbie

Post by picnewbie »

Hallo again,

first of all thanks for this first tip - I got the device running correct in the EB-006 with the internal clock settings - at least I think its running on the internal clock, because the LED blinks even without the quarz on the EB-006 board ;)
and this independent of RC or XTAL setting of the switch of the EB-006 board.

One more question about using the pic with his internal clock setting outside the EB-006 environment:
So now I took the chip out of the card and put it on a very simple circuit just putting

5V to pin 14
Gnd to pin 5
and I connected a Resistor (470 Ohm) to a LEDs Anode to pin 17 the LEDs Kathode to Gnd.

I expected that the LED would blink the same way as the EBlock EB004's LED was blinking in the EB006 environment - but surprise : nothing happens ... the LED is not activated or sometimes blinks just one time then nothing happens anymore ...

What do I do wrong ?
Is there a rule about other unused pin's (ground all unused pins or something like this ?)

Thanks for some more information for a pic newbie ;)

Best regards

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

You need to connect a pull-up to pin 4 (MCLR). In your current setup the PIC stays in reset. (An other option is to configure pin 4 to be input by setting 'RA5/MCLR Pin Function Select' to RA5 in the chip properties)
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Yes. You have to follow what karsing is saying.MCLR is active low reset pin for pic ic and pic remains at reset state if you don't pull it high.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

picnewbie

Post by picnewbie »

Thanks a lot - that was the little detail that I was missing ... :D