Advice Sought: Flowcode V5 with ICD3 ?

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

Brendan

Advice Sought: Flowcode V5 with ICD3 ?

Post by Brendan »

Hello all.

Does anyone have significant successful experience of using Flowcode with Microchip's ICD3, for both programming and debug ?

Reliant on Flowcode as a successful productivity tool for my team, and the EB006 + eBlocks for early project development, I'm reticent to make experimental changes to Flowcode settings if likely to encourage obscure problems.

I'd be very grateful for a simple step-by-step guide to settings and switching back-and-forth between ICD3 and EB006. I've seen a few earlier posts on the subject, but nothing particularly decisive and proven.

For early software development (pre-PCB fabrication and assembly of bespoke boards) the EB006 and eBlocks are just perfect as an early development platform and code proving ground. Thereafter, it's in-circuit programming to SMT devices on bespoke boards via appropriate connector to an ICD3, the latter able to offer compatibility with lower-voltage logic that we mostly use to suit other mainstream devices. Of-course it would be possible to level-shift the debug signals to the EB006 5V logic, but wouldn't suit the working environment for a number of reasons.

Thank you in advance.

Brendan

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice please: Flowcode V5 with ICD3 ?

Post by kersing »

Brendan,

I tend not to bother with switching Flowcode settings and use MPLAB IDE (v8.83) to upload the code with PICkit 2.
The workflow is:
- Compile to HEX in flowcode
- Open MPLAB IDE (if not open)
- Select correct device (Configure->Select Device. MPLAB recalls the last device used so only needed when switching devices)
- Select programmer (Programmer->Select Programmer. This needs to be done every time MPLAB is started)
- Use File->Import to open the HEX file
- Program device (Programmer->Program)

Once the first programming cycle has been completed, after making changes to the flowchart, just compile to HEX and Program. MPLAB will detect the HEX file has changed and reload automatically.

Using this workflow I am sure PICkit is loaded with the correct firmware for the target device and setup correctly (target voltage, provide power etc), not risking damage to the device. It should work for ICD3 as well. (MPLAB v8.89 is available here.)

Good luck!

Jac
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Brendan

Re: Advice Sought: Flowcode V5 with ICD3 ?

Post by Brendan »

Many thanks Jack for your detailed reply.

Your information is certainly useful as confirmation of the programming steps from a Hex export, though (if possible) I'd like to set up Flowcode with the ICD3 so that I can both program and debug bespoke assembled boards.

I could simply take out and level-shift the programming/debug signals from the EB006 board to seamlessly work with Flowcode, but the ICD3 is both popular and numerous around the office and I'm trying to integrate Flowcode developments with pre-existing engineering department preferences. Though not entirely essential, it would make sense that we embrace the ICD3 for Flowcode debug of assembled boards if possible.

All the best,

Brendan

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Brendan wrote: Though not entirely essential, it would make sense that we embrace the ICD3 for Flowcode debug of assembled boards if possible.
As far as I know Microchip and Matrix use a different debugging protocol. You will need to use EB006 or FlowKit (both with level shifters) for Flowcode debugging on PIC micros.

(Ben, feel free to confirm/correct :-) )
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

saschech@gmx.de

Post by saschech@gmx.de »

Hello

With the V4 for pic and a build projekt with the MPLAB you can compile with payed sourceboost compiler inside MPLAB >> program with ICD3 or PICkit3.

I do These with success!!!
With V5 I dont no for the vor include files....I have the question in the Forum,but not answer....no success.....so I go the way Import hexfile >> ICD3 to chip!

Regards

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thank you for all your interest and replies.

As there's nothing concrete, I think I'll just stick with level-shifting the EB006 as the only sure means of avoiding issues with FC5. Though not the desired outcome, at-least your answers have made a clear decision possible - for now at-least :)

My best regards,

Brendan

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

I just "compile to hex" in Flowcode and then "Import" into MPLAB and into ICD3 from there. It works perfectly....

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Hi Sparkoids.

Hex image files are an appropriate generic format for programming (we use MPLab/ICD3 extensively for this), though I still need to interface with EB006 to debug FlowCode projects in-circuit when running on manufactured SMT boards, level-shifting where required to interface low-voltage logic (typically 3.3V).

Although the ICD3 is evidently incompatible with Flowcode for in-circuit debug, the move from development platform to manufactured board will be seamless with this approach. Essential if using Flowcode for professional project development and support.

All the best,

Brendan

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

Hi Brendan,

Fair point on the debugging..... If you need any prototypes building just let us know (down to 0402 on SMT) ;-}

Best regards,

James Dexter :-}

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks James - noted :)

I recall when 0805 was regarded 'really small' - but that's just showing my age :(

...And now 01005 (AKA 'pollen') !!!

All the best,

Brendan

Sparkoids

Post by Sparkoids »

This is the type of hand assembly and prototype work we do at prices you really wouldn't believe. This board is 0402.

In fact if anyone from the Matrix Multimedia team is reading this they should be getting quotes from us for their work. Our customers include EADS, Cooper Controls, Vishey, LG etc....
Attachments
0402 PCB
0402 PCB
0402.jpg (183.5 KiB) Viewed 8120 times