HELP PLEASE: Flowcode V5 and Internet Board

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

Brendan

HELP PLEASE: Flowcode V5 and Internet Board

Post by Brendan »

Using Flowcode v5, I'm looking to wake up or force to sleep the EB023 by instruction.

Cutting a long story short, I'm sending a ping from one internet board (master) to another (slave) with crossed connection in-between. The two internet boards are controlled by separate PIC/EB006 boards.

If the boards are powered from scratch and the crossed connection made, there is no evidence of traffic on the Magjack LEDs and it doesn't work. However, while in a powered state, should I momentarily make an ordinary/active network connection to the slave and wait for activity on the Magjack LEDs, I can then reconnect the crossed cable and the setup works. Existing activity through the network connection is clearly waking the board.

So I believe I need C-based instruction(s) to wake the internet board, and another to send it back to sleep when done. All help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Brendan

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP PLEASE: Flowcode V5 and Internet Board

Post by kersing »

Brendan,

The TCP module manufacturers website lists a known issue with two of the chip (W5100) directly connected not being able to establish a link. Their solution is to set one of the chips to auto and the other one to a manual selected mode. This solution would require hardware modifications to the WIZ810MJ module as this module hardwires the mode to auto. The easiest work around is to use a cheap switch between the two modules.

The (momentary) connection to another device/network works around the link establishment issue present.

Regards,

Jac
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thank you Jac for this insightful advice.

Unaware of this issue, these modules were selected for use in equipment designed for automated production tests. Initial development and debug was performed via network and desktops so this issue didn't come to light until after the modules were installed and wired into an enclosure.

I'll have a look at their website in the hope that it's practicable to modify one of the modules to 'manual' to overcome this problem (if you have a link to this info that would be great). Sadly an external switch isn't an option as the box has a single 4-pair chassis connector (two pairs to each network board), permitting a single network cable to connect to the DUT port in a loop-back test arrangement from/to the two boards inside the box.

A troublesome disappointment, but you've at-least saved us considerable time and headaches fruitlessly trying to establish a coded solution.

Thank you again.

Brendan.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

The issue you are experiencing is a failure to correctly negotiate the link between the two modules. (I've experienced this issue myself with different hardware some years ago.)

The recommendation to switch one of the chips (W5100) to manual mode can be found on the WIZnet support forum.

To check what needs to be done to change the setting use W5100 data sheet, page 9 lists the OPMODE2-0 pins (65,64,63).

Next is the WIZ810MJ data sheet found at the Matrix Multimedia page for the Internet E-block. Page 15 has the diagram for the module and shows OPMODE pins wired to ground (auto-negotiation enable with all capabilities).

To change one of the E-blocks to manual selected speed the WIZ810MJ module requires modification to connect one of the OPMODE pins of the W5100 to VCC3V3D.

All of the above is based on the assumption you are using revision 2 of the EB023, not the older revision 1. (Substituting one of the EB023s with a revision 1 might solve your issues as well, I have one you could borrow if you are interested)
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thank you very much indeed Kersing.

This is exactly the information I needed and entirely grateful for the details and your time to reply.

I can confirm it's the latest v2 boards I have and don't anticipate a problem lifting and tagging OPMODE2 pin 65 to rail with a bit of mod wire. Thank you also for the offer to borrow/try your previous revision of board but I believe this info has it well-covered now.

Quite a relief as I had committed to completing the finished equipment this week, and has saved frantic digging and pulling my remaining hair out :D

All the best,

Brendan

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

For the possible benefit of others, I can happily confirm that taking OPMODE-2 (pin 65) high on one of the two modules resolved this issue, as suggested above.

We also returned the reset to an available/unused channel on the EB023 level-shifter (via unused module header pin) and returned that to port bit 7, allowing us to drive the reset high or low to enable connectivity for only the ping operation. This prevents the chips running unnecessarily warm when not required. Perhaps not an issue in practice but could enhance overall test equipment reliability.

Lifting pin 65 and tying it to rail with mod-wire was challenging to say the least. I had formerly requested advice on the Wiznet forum (before the informed advice from Jac), which wouldn't have helped as the suggestion was that it was probably reset timing or supply issue and a little at odds with the other thread link Jac provided.

http://www.wiznet.co.kr/sub_modules/en/ ... rd=&SF_AO=

Just goes to show the extent and quality of support from Flowcode users :wink:

All the best,

Brendan