Flowcode 4 and compiler location

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

john hauton

Flowcode 4 and compiler location

Post by john hauton »

Hi, I have had this problem with flowcode4 ever since it came out. After an install it would work perfectly.
Then for some reason the compiler/linker location gets changed, and it throws up the following:

Error: Failed to open:libc.pic16.lib or C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib/libc.pic16.lib

failure

Return code = -2

Flowcode was unable to assemble the ASM file due to the following errors:

FINISHED

Could someone please tell me why the location of the above file pointer changes, even after selecting default and
what the correct line should look like
Thanks
john

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Flowcode 4 and compiler location

Post by medelec35 »

Hi John,
Have you looked here:
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/support ... f=22&t=683

Martin.
Martin

ardu

Post by ardu »

The posted solution works for a session. But after exiting flowcode 4 one day and re-opening flowcode for use the next day, the linker options go back to the following (even if flowcode is set for a pic 16):

-ld "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib" libc.pic18.lib "%f.obj" -t PIC%p -d "%d" -p "%f"

Then I have to re-apply the solution given in the above post. Even previously coded and compiled programs revert to the above linker options so that I have to change the linker options to the options specified in the above post before the assembly will compile.

How can I change the compiler options so that the compiler options stay changed and do not revert back to the values they were before I changed them after completely exiting flowcode 4.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Post by medelec35 »

Hi ardu,
attached are some regisry files.
you can edit the correct version for your operating system to suit your needs then run it.

Martin
Attachments
Flowcode Default with PPP win 32 & 64Bit.zip
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Martin

ardu

Post by ardu »

I executed your code and set the registry files. Flowcode continues to have the same problem I had before I executed your code. The values are right for awhile but then the values for linker / assembler parameters reverts back to the following:

-ld "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib" libc.pic18.lib "%f.obj" -t PIC%p -d "%d" -p "%f"

A difference from my original post, which I think I just did not notice before, is that I do not have to exit flowcode for it to revert back to the above values. I can just leave flowcode open a day or two without closing it and the values still revert back to the above linker / assembler parameters. Flowcode seems to be reading some file periodically that has the above linker / assembler parameters. I find out about it because flowcode no longer links without errors. How do I fix this problem?

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hmm this sounds strange.

Just to confirm your not using any clean up software, antivirus, antimalware or registry maintenance applications which may be overriding the parameters you have set.

Also could it be there are multiple users that use the same machine but with different settings?

Maybe installing Sourceboost IDE or something similar?

Sure this is not a Flowcode issue as Flowcode only writes to the registry when you update the properties in the compiler options window.

Might be worth going in there and saving the working settings so you can recall them straight away if you ever need to (sorry noticed your using v4 and v4 cannot do this).

Kenrix2
Flowcode v5 User

Post by Kenrix2 »

I am not sure but, apparently someone else had this same problem. Have a look at:

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... ode#p31236

Perhaps you could send john a pm to see if he remembers the solution.

ardu

Post by ardu »

I am the only user. I do have a Norton Utilities registry maintenance program that runs but it has often run 3 - 4 times before the flowcode problem occurs. The flowcode settings last a couple of days before reverting back to the old values. I have the correct settings set in notepad which I use to copy/paste the correct flowcode settings back into flowcode. I can just continue to do that but was hoping there was a permanent solution.

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi
Dont know if you've tried this but when you re add the correct settings, make sure the top drop down box says default, then click on the save button next to the drop down box, what may be happening is you have a default and current set up and it switches from one to the other, if so do the same for the current, it may or may not sort it but its worth a try
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

ardu

Post by ardu »

Hi,

I cannot find what you discussed. I am using version 4.5. Are you using version 5?

dazz

Post by dazz »

Ah
yes sorry the instructions i gave are for v5 sorry
Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

Kenrix2
Flowcode v5 User

Post by Kenrix2 »

Please try these settings in Compiler Options if you have a 64 bit machine. If they don't work maybe you could post your settings after hitting the "Restore Defaults" button in the lower left of that window.

Compiler:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostc.pic16.flowcode.exe
Parameters:
-v -t PIC%p "%f.c"

Linker/Assembler:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\boostlink.pic.exe
Parameters:
-ld "C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Multimedia\Flowcode V4\BoostC\lib" libc.pic16.lib flowcode.pic16.lib rand.pic16.lib float.pic16.lib "%f.obj" -t PIC%p -d "%d" -p "%f"

I used the following post as a guide but added (x86) in Linker/Assembler Parameters, The original poster solved the problem but didn't really explain the solution so this this is the best I could come up with.
http://ww.w.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforu ... f=2&t=7822

john hauton

Post by john hauton »

Hi Martin, sorry about the delay..
This problem only started when I installed the demo version of flowcode dsp.
It seemed to change the linker locations, and point to the dsp linker.
I've found a way to cure it, but somewhat drastic!
Un-install ALL flowcode software.
Re-boot
Re-install everything.
There must be an easier way, as I have three flowcodes (pic avr arm) professional
so its a few hours work.
regards john

ardu

Post by ardu »

OK. The above post may indicate why I have had problems.

I had originally installed the free version of flowcode 4.5 available on a companion site to a book I had bought. After I became familiar with it I decided to install the paid for version that I got with a course I had paid for, "Programming Embedded PIC Microcontrollers". I uninstalled the free flowcode 4.5 and installed the paid for version of flowcode 4.5. Since I could not get the registration to work right, Matrix staff manually registered for me. I guess things got messed up because I originally installed the free version and then uninstalled it instead of upgrading.

Since I uninstalled the free version of flowcode 4.5 before I installed the paid for version of flowcode 4.5, I do not understand what I should do different if I tried uninstalling my paid for version of flowcode 4.5 to try to reinstall it so that the settings will stay correct.