User interface!

Please add any feature requests for Flowcode version 6 here

Moderator: Benj

Forum rules
Only feature requests will be considered here. General questions should not be posted in this forum.
jgu1

User interface!

Post by jgu1 »

Hi MM!

A wish, and maybe a big wish. Having the ability in (Wiev Ver.6) to change the user interface from ver. 6 to Ver.5 and back again and vice versa. :D

Best regard

Jorgen

JonnyW

Re: User interface!

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Jorgen. You mean make it look identical to v5/ Yeah, that is a pretty big wish!

Is there anything specific you miss from v5? Perhaps there are tweaks we can make to make things a little easier in transition.

Jonny

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Jonny!

Flowcode V. 6 is very smart with nice graphics and impressive and MM have done a great job. As I wrote it is probably a matter of getting used to using it. Personally I prefer the component panel Ver.5 and the way you created its component panel and configured the individual components. To me it seemed more simple and straightforward to quickly create a panel in Ver.5. and earlier versions. When you just open ver.6 can interface well be (for me compared to Ver5) a little overwhelming,confusing and "heavy".

Do not take it negatively, that's probably just me who is a little "slow". :lol:

Jorgen

Mantas

Post by Mantas »

Hi Jonny,

additionally I would say I preferred the way v5 components were modified, with a new window opening to configure external properties. Everything was clearly seen. Now all those properties are on the side property window together with position and other...and they don't stand out, now you have to slowly go through the list to find the property you want to modify. Personally I find this a bit frustrating, because it slows all the development progress. It's just my opinion, and maybe I am also slow and need to get use to it...

Cheers,
Mantas
Science is my true religion.

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi.

It seems that it is an issue to consider, at any rate. I think it is maybe too late to remove the properties panel as it is, but it is possible that the connections properties of a component could be isolated and presented as they were in v5 (or similar). No promises there, but I can look into it.

As far as the panels go, if you are talking about laying out components on the panel then if you use the dashboard then there is not much difference between v5 and v6 - it is only if you want to build something with a bit of depth that you are best using the system panel and 3D.

Jonny

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi Jonny!

Mantas I agree.

Meanwhile I have practiced a little more in V6. and I can see that I can just close many windows, and then it begins to look like a little more V5. But then think " is there now some closed windows " where there should have been something configured.

Jonny I need some more experience, practice, practice. :) Let´s give it a chance, anyway I can see there are many other new feature.

Jorgen

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi. Yeah, its true - many of the windows available are not needed. If you open all of them then things will get overwhelming, but, for example, you will probably never need the component debugger window if you never write a component yourself, so never need it to be open. As for me, I very rarely open the dashboard panel, as I do everything in the system panel. Its all a matter of preference.

I try to ensure that if there is some information that needs to be seen, then the window that displays that information will open automatically, so don't worry too much about missing things.

Jonny

dazz

Post by dazz »

Hi Jonny
Couldn't something be implemented in global option, ie choose whether to use dashboard or panel as default, and another called say, mode whereby once you have the interface to your liking hit the mode button in global options and it save the layout as your default with the option to name it, as then you could have several differant looking interfaces set up and be able to choose or change the default

Regards
Dazz
To sign up to the V5 forum follow this link http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/forum_upgrades.php

Mantas

Post by Mantas »

I had an idea during closed beta regarding many windows, but it never slipped out...maybe it would be nice to have a bottom TAB bar, where you could flip through different windows and have them always shown in the same position. Maybe add such feature as a global option, maybe for some people with smaller displays it would be handy to flip through the windows names and have them displayed quickly. Cuz now if someone would want to see them all, they would have to connect a huge plasma tv to work with all the features :))))) Jonny, is it possible to make the position tree in the components properties window to stay always retracted?

Regards,
Mantas

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Hi. We are currently looking at a version of Flowcode called Flowcode CSE. This is a cut-down version of Flowcode aimed at 14-16 year olds.

As I don't fancy maintaining two code bases and aren't a fan of if-defs, the solution we will probably go with is to make all windows, icons and quite a few dialogs optional. These can then be turned on or off via a settings file, which could be set up via an external app. Therefore if you wished to only have the dashboard, don't like the component debugger or have no use for the scope, you can always turn these features off to simplify the environment.

I like the idea of a tabs toolbar to quickly select the windows you want and switch them on or off.

I don't follow what you mean by position tree always retracted? You mean docked and hidden to the side? I think that works with all but, bizarrely, the right hand of the screen. Been meaning to look at that for a while.

Jonny

Mantas

Post by Mantas »

Hi Jonny,

Sorry for the late reply. I was talking about this window:
window.jpg
window.jpg (59.23 KiB) Viewed 8979 times

JonnyW

Post by JonnyW »

Ah, I see. That can be minimised and should stay so when other objects are clicked on. I'm not sure about hiding this by default - for some it is very useful, for others not so much, so I'm not sure. Can open this up for a vote perhaps?

Jonny

Mantas

Post by Mantas »

Hi Jonny,

Maybe global options would be a more universal solution?

Cheers,
Mantas