Navigation Structure

Please add any feature requests for Flowcode version 6 here

Moderator: Benj

Forum rules
Only feature requests will be considered here. General questions should not be posted in this forum.
Jordy101091

Navigation Structure

Post by Jordy101091 »

I know there is already a project explorer but I think I have some additional things that might be useful to take in consideration.

In the past I have made I Flowcode program with well over 35 different macro's. The navigation to certain parts of the code may be some what difficult if you haven't worked on this code for lets say 2 weeks because of a holiday. When you get back to the code it very difficult to know where certain parts of the code is.

I think with A few adjustments we can make it even easier to search trough the code.

First off all: what I would like to see in the project explore is as follow,
If you open the project explore you can see all the macros, but not the level of the macro's.
Uhm how am I going to say this clearly in my shitty English.
You have macros in your main part of the code Okey, for starters I have my main code MAIN in here I create another macro called INIT. In this macro I do some stuff and after "some stuff" I create another macro to handle a specific object. in the existing project explore it would show like this.

Code: Select all

-MAIN
-INIT
-Wifi_Module
-Startup
-Relays
-Motor
Wouldn't be easier to do something like this:

Code: Select all

-MAIN
-INIT
   -Wifi_Module
-STARTUP
   -RELAYS
   -MOTOR
Kind of the map structure of windows where maps are placed inside maps
So the user can expand to see more details or Levels of his Flowcode.

Second:
It would be easier ad least I think when you click on a macro in the project explorer that in your main code window you also jump to that macro.

I hope that I have explained my self clearly.

Regards Jordy
the will to learn, should not be stopped by any price

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: Navigation Structure

Post by Benj »

Hi Jordy,

Some good suggestions there, I would also like to see some kind of a tree view for macros but Jonny knows the specifics for pulling this off.
It would be easier ad least I think when you click on a macro in the project explorer that in your main code window you also jump to that macro.
I think if you double click then it jumps to show the macro. Single click is a bit more difficult to distinguish from a drag which is used to drag the macro call directly into the flowchart.

JonnyW

Re: Navigation Structure

Post by JonnyW »

Hi Jordy.

Yes, this is certainly possible - you are asking for a call graph.

Thing is that a simple tree can cope with simple examples, but if say a macro is called from two different locations, or recurses, etc, it is difficult to display and you get unreliable information, which is often worse than no info at all.

Luckily in v6 the .fcfx files are all XML, so can be parsed by external applications. I am planning for Flowcode to just be an editor, and for operations such as call graphs, auto-documentation, etc, these can be pushed into external applications that are bundled with Flowcode.

Therefore you could get an application like that at some point - probably when all the issues with the main v6 executable die down. I would also like a JavaScript viewer for flowcharts so we could view them in the forums, but that is way down the line.

Jonny