Problem with Log Function with ECIO40

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 6.

Moderator: Benj

patl02

Problem with Log Function with ECIO40

Post by patl02 »

Hi,
I am developing a flowcode program to obtain a temperature reading using a thermistor. The basic principle is to interface the thermistor to an ADC input using a potential divider. The program reads the ADC value converts the ADC value to voltage across the thermistor and calculates the resistance of the thermistor. The temperature of the thermistor can then be calculate based on the resistance value. The equation relating resistance and temperature requires the log function.
The program runs fine in simulation mode.
However, when I try to Compile to Chip (for ECIO40), the following error messages are shown:
"unknown identifier log", and "arguments of FCI_SHEAD" don't match parameters of call.

Does anybody have experience of this type of problem, or any suggestions for means of resolving it?
Thank you,
patl02.

medelec35
Matrix Staff

Re: Problem with Log Function with ECIO40

Post by medelec35 »

Hi patl02.
ECIO does not support maths functions like LOG, SIN, TAN ATAN ect.
This is a limitation of BoostC compiler that is used within Flowcode when compiling 8bit microcontrollers .
There was talk about changing from BoostC to a different compiler just so additional maths functions can be supported.
only AVR, ARM and dsPIC support the maths functions you require.

For the ECIO you can use the look-up table method.
There are a few tutorial on using look-up tables in the Tips and Tricks section.
Although there is a dedicated look-up table component macro within Flowcode 6.
If you interested in using that I can help you with it.

If you want to use LUT method then Benj posted an excel sheet which makes life easier.
I adapted the spreadsheet for 5V rather than for MIACs
I will see If I still have the spreadsheet I used when I made a temperature sensor using a thermistor.
Another alternative is to use a different type of temperature sensor e.g LM34 see here

Martin
Martin

LeighM
Matrix Staff

Post by LeighM »

In addition to Martin’s comments, there is also a bug in the string conversion for target code generation.
It occurs when numeric conversion is mixed with string concatenation (the FCI_SHEAD error)
We have a fix in the pipeline for the next release, but in the meantime you can work around this by separating any numeric to string conversion into a separate statement.
That is, only concatenate strings.
Regards,

Leigh

Code: Select all

result_string = "some text"
number_x = 1234
number_string = STRING number_x
result_string = result_string + number_string

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hi patl02,
You might be able to make use of the file I posted in this post.. There's a macro to calculate the natural logarithm, ln(x), (i.e. a logarithm with base 'e'). You can convert the natural logarithm to a base 10 logarithm by simply dividing the answer by 2.302585 (that's the natural logarithm of 10 - in general, convert to another number base by dividing by the natural logarithm of the new number base). It uses only normal "8-bit" functions to zero in on an approximation, and has been tested before for compiling to an ECIO. Accuracy should be good to around five significant digits, which should be at least as good as interpolating a lookup-table, and should use less of the chip's memory (though it may be a little slower than an LUT).

Best regards,
Steve.

patl02

Post by patl02 »

Hi Martin, Leigh and Steve,
Thank you all for your prompt replies. All of the information was very useful, and I have used the macro for the Taylor Series approximation for the Ln function successfully.
Best Regards.
patl02

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hi,
Glad to hear you got everything working.
For those users using Flowcode6, you may also be interested to see another solution to the problem of using certain float functions on the smaller 8-bit PICS...
Best Regards,
Steve.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

LeighM wrote:In addition to Martin’s comments, there is also a bug in the string conversion for target code generation.
It occurs when numeric conversion is mixed with string concatenation (the FCI_SHEAD error)
We have a fix in the pipeline for the next release, but in the meantime you can work around this by separating any numeric to string conversion into a separate statement.
That is, only concatenate strings.
Regards,

Leigh

Code: Select all

result_string = "some text"
number_x = 1234
number_string = STRING number_x
result_string = result_string + number_string
Thanks Leigh.

This build-time error was driving me nuts for a while until I found this thread (I was concatenating 'StringPhrase + ToString$(NumberVariable') within the LCD component print string box. As you suggest, I can confirm that pre-conversion of NumberVariable to NumberString, followed by simple concatenation of the two string variables StringPhrase + NumberString, fixed it :D

All the best,
Brendan