Moderator: Benj

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Lora Support

Post by QMESAR »

Hello Team.

I would suggest or ask to consider adding support for LoRa technology to FC 7
as many many M2M systems are moving to this technology and our customers are more frequently asking us to implement this on their
M2M systems with Cloud features and are currently using the MCHP available code and support packs(both the RN2483 and RN 2903 uses the same Communication protocol it is only the Frequency that differs for US and Europa)
I would expect that many other FC usres get the same request from their customers :D
Thanks as always for your consideration :D
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (42.48 KiB) Viewed 8668 times

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Lora Support

Post by kersing »

I have got a LoRaWAN component for the RN2483 ready. Has been field tested for well over 6 months now. Adding code for the RN2903 is 'trivial', testing it will not be possible for me as I'm in Europe and the frequencies used by that module are in use for GSM communications over here. (Somehow telcos frown upon intruders on their frequencies)

BTW You are looking for a LoRaWAN component. LoRa is the radio prototocol used to transport the data, LoRaWAN makes it into the IoT solution. (Don't get me wrong, LoRa in itself can be useful as well but the RN modules are certified for LoRaWAN)
For anyone interested, a couple of days ago I've given a presentation on LoRaWAN and The Things Network.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

― C.S. Lewis

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Dear Kersing
My apologies for not specifying my request technically 100% correct however you understand what I was asking for thank you for that and I think the people at MATRIX too,
would you be prepared to share this component if so at what cost ?

I am only interested in the 2483 as I am in Europe too but showed the 2903 for the users such as the US and according to the data sheets use the exact same communication protocol

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

I'm still considering how to proceed with the component. PM me if you are in a hurry, if not please send a reminder in a couple of weeks.

― C.S. Lewis

QMESAR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by QMESAR »

Thanks for the reply ,There is no hurry ,will look at it again in a few weeks :D other option is to use mikroE as they support most Radio modules out of the box

Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

Hi guys,
For rapid deployment of a LoRa based comms, look at the Gamma modules from RF solutions.
https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/radio-mod ... 68mhz-p392
Since its the companies implementation of the SemTech LoRa chip, you dont have full access with the standard LoRa chip features but its simple to implement and too achieve low data, at long range, for minimal power. I've found nothing to beat it yet.
I've used them on a couple of projects and achieved 700m range in non line-of-sight, wooded, wet, undulating terrain. They claim many Km in true line of sight applications.... but who ever achieves that.
The standard unit at around £20+vat+shipping can be used either as paired units;
1xTransmitter to 1xReciever with simple 8 input on/off pins to 8 output on/off pins.
2x paired Transceivers giving 4 on/off input pins and 4 on/off receive pins each.

Or my personal favourite.. using the UART compatible Rx/Tx pins, Just send a short sequence of serial bytes from any module and they are received at any other module. No pairing required.
I've sent strings of 8 bytes with no problems, you just have to do a bit of your own simple message handling, to accept or ignore messages. Sounds harder than it was!
Changing the internal config is pretty straight forward, if others were interested in playing with the modules I could hack out the routines I wrote in FC to set them up.
J.

kersing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kersing »

Hi Jay,

Thos modules are indeed LoRa, not LoRaWAN. So if you want to integrate with the emerging IoT networks you need to implement the LoRaWAN stack yourself (and operators like Orange require you obtain certification costing a lot of money). For LoRa those modules are a good fit. And I know people achieved >40km ranges with like modules when using one on a balloon and the other on the ground.
For LoRaWAN I would advise not to use those modules but start with a certified stack like the one available in the RN2483.

― C.S. Lewis

Jay Dee

Post by Jay Dee »

Yep, very good point.
In our applications field of deployment there will not be a LoRaWAN for a significant number of years so just using the backbone LoRa technology is very handy.
I'll follow with interest and progress your guys make with LoRaWAN and IoT.
J.

chipfryer27
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by chipfryer27 »

Hi Jay

I agree with what you say about the Gamma Modules, very hard to beat for the price. A fiend was quoted around £1,000 for a GSM based tank monitor (water not Chieftain) with a monthly SIM charge, and a possible extra to build a tower for it to receive a signal (tower subject to planning permission too). All this to monitor a tank that was a 100m or so down in a valley with no line of site. His house has terrible GSM signal too so how the company thought that this would be a good idea is beyond me. I need a salesman perhaps?

My solution was KISS. Gamma's configured to mirror input to output upon change of state. Float switch triggers the Tx Gamma (which has very low current consumption at rest) which relays that change of state to another Rx Gamma in the house. Basic bendy antenna and perfect communications as you say through wet, woody and in this case half a hillside too :)

At the receiver I had a PIC monitor the Rx Gamma. Once triggered the PIC would send a signal via Notify-my-android which then "zaps" me a message and sends e-mail. If it can't communicate with Notify-my-android it buzzes to give the occupant an alert. Once everything clears more notifications are sent to say so.

I monitored two tanks for a fraction of the cost of the GSM system. He is now getting mains water installed so I'm looking forward to getting the Gamma's back to play with. In over a year of use, the units at the tank which run off of 2 x AA batteries have dropped less than 0.2v. Great little gadgets.

I'd be quite keen to see support for LoRA / LoRaWAN in the future

Regards