ECIO board not recognice by Windows XP

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

pisco
Flowcode V4 User

ECIO board not recognice by Windows XP

Post by pisco »

Still Problems installing ECIO board

I tried two scenarios without success
------------------------------------
Scenario #1 : Laptop
Windows XP ver 2002 SP3
Pentium 3
Scenario#2 : Desktop
Windows XP ver 2002 SP2
Pentium 4, CPU 3GB,2.99 GHz, 1.5GB Ram
-------------------------------------
Process that I did in both scenarios.
1) I installed first the driver "dpinst_x86.exe"(Flowcode 4 CD or Matrixmultimedia site) I tried both.
2) After was installed driver and pop up the message that the driver was properly installed.I plug in the ECIO40P board and soon a new screen pop up asking to select the path for the drivers or let windows decide it. I choose windows decide. Later shows that the drivers were found and properly installed, and windows also pop up the message that the device was found (ECIO40P) and properly installed.
-----------------------------------------
Scenario#1 Laptop:
I open SystemProperties/Hardware/DeviceManager/UniversalSerialBuscontrollers:
- The driver for ECIO40P is not there.
If I reset the ECIO40P in the board, a "clink" sound is heard, and the screen of the UniversalSerialBuscontrollers changes to indicate that the ECIO40P driver is installed, but after a few seconds a "clank" sound is heard, and the ECIO40P driver screen change and close.

(Reading the forum, suggested to unclick the power turn off, and I did in many attempts, because I had three seconds to change this, because it was the time the driver ECIO40P shows in the USB list of driver installed in the System, but finally I manage to unclick this setting. This change does not modify the fact the ECIO is disconnected after a few seconds that is reset or is plug in the board.
Scenario#2 Desktop:
Was similar to the scenario with the Laptop, but the difference is that in the Desktop, in any moment shows that the driver is installed. Even when I plug or unplug, reset or not reset the board ECIO40P. The desktop is worst, because I don't know how to know if the board driver is detected or not, not even the tipic clink and clank sound for connection or disconnection of the board or when is reset the switch in the ECIO board.
As you could see I tried all ways. If there is something else that I could do, thanks.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: ECIO board not recognice by Windows XP

Post by Benj »

Hello,

If you run the ECIOprog tool from the "Flowcode vx\Tools\ECIOprog" folder and then reset the ECIO then it will remain in Bootloader mode to allow you to see the device in device manager and try changing the power management setting.

Let me know how you get on.

pisco
Flowcode V4 User

Post by pisco »

Hi Benj,
I run the ECIOprog.exe and popup a window with a message: ECIO not found!
Then I press the switch in the ECIO board, then the LED in the board start to blinking permanently, and the message that shows ECIO not found, change to:
ECIO not found!
ECIO not found!
ECIO-40 version: 1.1
Ready
(and its keep blinking the led of the ECIO board permanently.
-------------------------------------------------------
then I launched the FLowCode 4 and the ECIO Flash.fcf (test) and seems that nothing happen.
Also I connected the LED board EB004 with the ECIO Board and tried to select the chip, and the ECIO is not in the list. I'm imagine that this indicate that the ECIO is not detected, isn;t it?
During all this test the light in the ECIO board still is blinking....
Also I unclick the power management that allow the computer turn off the device. !!!!
---------------------------------------------------------
Any ideas? Thanks

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,
I run the ECIOprog.exe and popup a window with a message: ECIO not found!
Then I press the switch in the ECIO board, then the LED in the board start to blinking permanently, and the message that shows ECIO not found, change to:
ECIO not found!
ECIO not found!
ECIO-40 version: 1.1
Ready
(and its keep blinking the led of the ECIO board permanently.
Good the ECIO is now in bootloader mode and will remain so for as long as you have the ECIOprog tool open. Communications with the ECIO are working ok :)
Also I connected the LED board EB004 with the ECIO Board and tried to select the chip, and the ECIO is not in the list. I'm imagine that this indicate that the ECIO is not detected, isn;t it?
No the ECIO devices will be in the list if the device is connected or not. They are listed right at the bottom of the list in Flowcode.
Also I unclick the power management that allow the computer turn off the device. !!!!
Great that should be problem fixed then. Make sure you close the ECIOprog software before following the steps below.

To use the ECIO......

Select the ECIO as a target in Flowcode either by selecting when you create a file or by clicking View -> Project Options and changing there.

Create your program and then click Chip -> Compile to chip or the small chip symbol and the program will compile and then launch the ECIOprog software. Note this may take a while to appear depending on how long the compilation takes. Do not click cancel.

The software will say please connect or reset your ECIO so here press the reset button on the ECIO.

You should now see that the ECIO connects and programs correctly.

Let me know if you have any problems.

pisco
Flowcode V4 User

Post by pisco »

Hi,
1)I created a simple LED program, and later I select the ECIO40P from the list of chips. To verify later,I click in the menubar in view chip, and shows the 18F4455.
2) I run the simulated program and run ok. In the final, the LED in the panel simulation turns on.
3) I put the ECIO in bootloader mode (runing ECIOprog.exe and seconds later abort the application, but not exit the application windows,that keeps the ECIO in bootloader.
4) I press "compile to chip"and ask me to reset the ECIO. I did and the program run until the final message that said:
...ECIO not found
ECIO 40 vers: 1.1
Ready
Sending Program
Send Completed
Ready

Return code= 0
Finished

Well, thanks seems that works.
I have some questions:
1) This procedure is the way that is sopposed to work, or this is some turn around method. Because I thought that I was following a correct procedures.

2) After I'm pretty sure that the code program is in the chip,I connected the LED EB004 and
press the reset button...( the light in the EC004 blink for a 6 sec and later stop. I was specting to see the light turn on but nothing happend. What is the correct procedure to test the real circuit?

Thanks your help is greatly appreciated

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

Maybe you could attach your program to the forum and I will have a look for you.

A few suggestions pop to mind.

1) you have not connected the LED component to a pin. Right click the LED and select component connections.

2) It seems this course may be helpful to you. http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/lc_microcontroller.php

When the LED on the ECIO stops flashing and goes solid the program on it starts running.

Please note:
3) I put the ECIO in bootloader mode (runing ECIOprog.exe and seconds later abort the application, but not exit the application windows,that keeps the ECIO in bootloader.
I only got you to run the ECIOprog tool so you could change the power management properties. You do not have to run the tool unless you want to send hex files to the ECIO outside of the Flowcode environment.

davidfrance24

Post by davidfrance24 »

I am having the same problem!, My ecioprogrammer sees the ecio40p, then i press abort, but then i go into flowcode and try write to the ic and comes up with "usb cable is not connected, Continue, Yes No" If i press yes it fails!
Please Please Please Help Me

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The "usb cable is not connected" message indicates that you are trying to use a EB006 multiprogrammer as your programmer. This indicates you have the wrong target selected in the project options.

To fix this click on View -> Project Options and change the target device to ECIO40 or ECIO28 depending on your ECIO, they are right at the bottom of the selection list. Once you have done this when you compile to chip you will be asked to reset the ECIO which will then fire up the USB bootloader and start programming.

davidfrance24

Post by davidfrance24 »

Thanks, its working! :-)