GPS Time

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

garytech
Flowcode V4 User

GPS Time

Post by garytech »

Hi All

Having a few problems at present as regarding a small program, all that is required is to display the gps time on a 4x20 display, I am using at present the EB-006 e-blocks pcb and adding my own gps engine, this is output TTL, NMEA sentences all at present, I will switch off all others and leave the RMC string only once I can get this to work, if any one can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks in advance, fc4 gps time file attached

Sorry forgot to mention the target pic is the 16F887

Thanks

Gary
Attachments
gps time 1.fcf
gps time 1
(12 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: GPS Time

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Gary

Ive tweaked your flowchart so it works
Have a look at the GPS macro for hour min & sec . You had a slight error in the way you were setting them up.
Tried it with the Matrix e-block on my hardware.

if you are using a different gps module just make sure to set the correct baud rate.

Also
1) Where you called a macro display, it had no code in it so that has been deleted
2) You had not initialised the LCD at the start of the program, this would not show it simulation, but would cause hardware problems.
3) Your flowchart is configured for a 16F84A which does not have a Port C so it would not even see the GPS module.
Hope this gets you started.
There are some more good example gps programs in the e-blocks test file section of the website.

One other thing, it looks to send time data in UTC (GMT) so you need to compensate for it for local time
GPS Time 1 - Working.fcf
(8.5 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
1 in 10 people understand binary, the other one doesn't !

garytech
Flowcode V4 User

Post by garytech »

Hi John

Many thanks for the reply, I will have to keep an eye on that as regards the chip not being setup, as I thought I had set it up in the config chip section, anyway will give this a go, will drop you a line latter to let you know how it went.

Again many thanks for your time.

Gary

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi Gary

The Matrix eblock connects to Port C and the LCD to Port B
I tried your original chart with my hardware and it didnt work, my version chart does show correct time using my GPS eblock.

Possibly your GPS module is not quite compatible with the macro settings. It looks like its not getting the correct data from the GPS.
It may be possible to go to the customise settings and modify them to match your hardware, you will need to ask the staff at Matrix for held with this though.

Just two other thoughts.

1.) My chart is for the 16F877A, are you using this chip or the 16F877, though I dont think that would cause the error you are seeing

2.) Make sure you have the xtal osc selected.

garytech
Flowcode V4 User

Post by garytech »

Hi John

Just going to check everything again, but I know the gps module i am using is set up for 9600 with TTL, will keep you posted to how I get on.

Again thanks for your time.

John just had a look at the code and it seems that your module and fcf file is setup for 4800 baud, I have changed all the setings on my module again for 4800, TTL output with only the RMC string being sent, also John the chip I am using is the 16F887, hope this is not what is causing the proplem.

Gary

Spanish_dude

Post by Spanish_dude »

Hi,

I made a NMEA parser for my GPS E-Block with Flowcode v3.
You can find the code here : http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/mmforum ... =26&t=7879

Hope this helps.

BR,

Nicolas L. F.

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi All! :D

This project looks very interesting and I'd like to test it. I'm not a big expert. (have still much to learn) maybe you will help. What type of GPS module is here chosen and where can I buy the GPS module. Which port / legs are selected on the chip, I can see it is not possible to choose leg connection component. :?:

Thank´s in advance.

Regard

jgu1

JohnCrow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by JohnCrow »

Hi

The easiest way to get a woking GPS system is the Matrix E-Block and the flowcode GPS component.
http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/product ... PHPSESSID=

Using these you know the hardware/software works together and you work on developing a system rather than debugging.

The NMEI protocol is supported by most commercial GPS systems (Garmin etc).
My old Garmin pocket GPS has a serial connction that will allow a pc to read the data stream. I would assume current commercial GPS use the USB port.

jgu1

Post by jgu1 »

Hi John!

Thank you for your reply. I think I follow your addvice and order one by MatrixMultimedia. :D

Best regard

jgu1