How many pins does it take to burn a typical 8bit pic?

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 4.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 4 or higher. To sign up for this forum topic please use the "Online Resources" link in the Flowcode Help Menu.

Moderator: Benj

Werner

How many pins does it take to burn a typical 8bit pic?

Post by Werner »

Hi Guys, I was just wondering how many pins are required to burn program your typical 8 bit pic. I found some SMT boards that have some very small SMT pic’s on them. The board has 5 edge pads and it looks to me that they used the edge pads to program the chip after assembly of the board? What do think? :?
Have a great day!
Werner
Werner
STUDENT OF: Martin - Professor of Flowcode, John, Jan, Fotios and Nicolas "Spanish Dude"

brandonb

Re: How many pins does it take to burn a typical 8bit pic?

Post by brandonb »

5 pins, vpp(programming voltage 12volts) -5v - ground - in circuit serial data and - in circuit serial clock.... all of these are supplied directly from your pickit2 or what ever you use for a programmer.... i tried to upload a picture of the one i made with the zif adapter for 40 pin dip but when shrunk its too big still at 560kb....... you have to watch out because the pins are different for different chips of the same pin count

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: How many pins does it take to burn a typical 8bit pic?

Post by Benj »

Hello,

If you have a EB006 multiprogrammer or HP488 dev board then you can use this as a ICSP programmer the same as you can use the PICkit programmers.
ICSP from DEVBD.gif
ICSP from DEVBD.gif (16.12 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
Remember to keep the cables short to reduce the effects of stray capacitance and transmission lines.

ICSP pins are the same as mentioned by brandonb,

1 - MCLR
2 - VDD
3 - VSS
4 - PGD
5 - PGC
6 - LVP or Disconnected