Rotational friction kit
- Efficiency of a screw jack
- Efficiency of a wedge
- Efficiency of different bearings
- Work panel and curriculum available separately
The rotational friction kit includes a screw jack (or 'jackscrew'), a wedge and different bearings. It helps students understand how rotational friction affects the efficiency of popular machine elements and bearing materials. It shows why engineers choose some materials and devices above others for any given application. Students fit the parts to the base unit and apply effort and load weights to find their relative mechanical advantage and efficiency. The kit introduces students to key engineering terms such as: Mechanical advantage, Velocity ratio, Efficiency and Overhaul.
Essential base unit and kit must be ordered separately.
- Friction, mechanical advantage, efficiency
- Bearings, wedges, screw jacks
- Machines using rotational friction