Simple harmonic motion kit
- Shows simple harmonic motion in springs and pendulums and its usefulness
- Includes Kater/compound pendulum, 2 simple pendulums, bifilar suspension bar & trifilar plate
- Work panel and curriculum available separately
This kit includes different pendulums and a spring which fit onto a work panel to show students the principles and use of simple harmonic motion. Students test different pendulums and a spring to see how different factors, such as mass or pendulum length affect simple harmonic motion and the period of oscillation. The theory shows how to predict the period of oscillation for a given pendulum or spring for comparison with actual results. The kit includes an experiment with the Kater's pendulum that shows the relationship between simple harmonic motion and gravity, for prediction of gravity to a reasonable accuracy. The kit also introduces students to a simple 'spring rate' test, and key scientific terms such as moments of inertia and parallel axis theorem. Worksheets, guidance notes and lecturer notes (with answers) needed for typical experiments are supplied with the work panel.
Essential base unit and kit must be ordered separately.
Learning objectives/experiments include:
- Simple harmonic motion of simple, bifilar and trifilar pendulums of different length and mass
- Simple harmonic motion of a spring with different masses, and a simple spring rate test
- Simple harmonic motion of a compound pendulum
- Simple harmonic motion and gravity using a Kater's pendulum