Tensile tester kit
- Shows the principles of tensile tests on specimens of different material
- Includes tensile tester, dial caliper and hexagon tool
- Also includes a set of specimens - 10 x steel, 10 x aluminium, 10 x duralumin and 10 x PVC
- Work panel and curriculum available separately
This kit includes specimens of different materials, which fit onto a work panel to show students the principles of tensile tests. Students use the tensile tester to stretch the specimens to destruction, while measuring the extension and force. The tests introduce students to tensile test terms including: overall stress and strain, yield properties, tensile strength and elongation. The choice of different specimens allows comparisons of different specimen material and how it affects its tensile properties. Worksheets, guidance notes and lecturer notes (with answers) needed for typical experiments are supplied with the work panel.
Essential base unit and kit must be ordered separately.
Learning objectives/experiments include:
- Tensile tests (to destruction) of different materials
- Finding the tensile strength of a material
- Material behaviour in the elastic and plastic region
- Creating a force and extension chart