No OUTPUT

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

aerostar

No OUTPUT

Post by aerostar »

My E-board is not giving any output. I guess it's "fried" what should I do? (The chip on it presently does not 'accept' programs however when I use a different one, it's programmed successfully but no output). I will really appreciate if you can help me. thanks.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Re: No OUTPUT

Post by Benj »

Hello,

My guess is that the chip config either has not been assigned or has been setup incorrectly and this is why the chip is not running. Please can you attach your source code so we can see what your trying to do.

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

Are you using EB006 board? Which chip you are using and please post the program you are trying to write..
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

Benj wrote:Hello,

My guess is that the chip config either has not been assigned or has been setup incorrectly and this is why the chip is not running. Please can you attach your source code so we can see what your trying to do.
The chip configuration is ok I will give you the code - I am using it to test a stepper motor The thing is my laptop was affected by whatever it is that affected the board - I suspect my project drew too much power from the board (the on-board chip is no longer programmable - "fried")
Attachments
test.txt
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 306 times

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

Enamul wrote:Are you using EB006 board? Which chip you are using and please post the program you are trying to write..
EB006 - yes
P - 16F877A

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hello,

Have you tried with a simple LED flasher to see if your board is working? I would download a free version of Flowcode v5 to test it, as it is designed to work with the EB006.

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

DavidA wrote:Hello,

Have you tried with a simple LED flasher to see if your board is working? I would download a free version of Flowcode v5 to test it, as it is designed to work with the EB006.
Yes I have and it is not working. Please I can I send it so that you can take a look? I have been using the board and writing codes since December 2011 so I have tried a number of options. there is a problem. I really need it because I have a project to complete before November 17. Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

The program you posted is in asm..That means you don't use flowcode for programming. You said you have tried flasher program using free version of flowcode..Can you post that program or you don't sure what to do we can post for you. If you open flowcode you will see in the menu..Bulid>Project Options>Configure chip..press auto detect on the top right corner..If your programmer can detect your chip on board in that case your programmer is OK..nothing to worry.
so please try that and let us know what you are getting.
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

Enamul wrote:The program you posted is in asm..That means you don't use flowcode for programming. You said you have tried flasher program using free version of flowcode..Can you post that program or you don't sure what to do we can post for you. If you open flowcode you will see in the menu..Bulid>Project Options>Configure chip..press auto detect on the top right corner..If your programmer can detect your chip on board in that case your programmer is OK..nothing to worry.
so please try that and let us know what you are getting.
This does not seem to be going very well thanks for your help. What difference will it make? MPLAB or FLOWCODE? Ok, Please what will it cost to repair the board? I am sending it. I told you earlier that the on-board chip is not programmable that is, it does not accept programs I erased it several times and it behaves erratically. I have tried another chip on it and that accepted the code but does not give any output. Why will a code work on the University's board and not work on my own board? (I am a student).

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hello,

It does sound then like you have fried the board, and as such it is very unlikely to be able to be repaired or any repair costs incurred would be more than the board is worth.

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

It does sound then like you have fried the board, and as such it is very unlikely to be able to be repaired or any repair costs incurred would be more than the board is worth.
Thanks David, I do not know why it has taken this long to explain. (Maybe my English is not very good). Please when you do receive the board, Try it and let me know what will be the best thing to do about it. Thanks a million.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

I have received your board and can confirm that nothing is wrong with it. The oscillator switch was set to the RC setting so switching to XTAL the board started working. I also tested the board with a configuration set to RC and this also worked so it seems the board is working as expected. I will get the board returned to you today along with a new 16F88 chip.

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Please let me state, this is why we do these checks, next time can you please follow the instructions we set out so we can ensure next time that the board is actually damaged.

Enamul

Post by Enamul »

I see but why he was saying that the board can't detect chip then..strange :!:
Enamul
University of Nottingham
enamul4mm@gmail.com

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

DavidA wrote:Please let me state, this is why we do these checks, next time can you please follow the instructions we set out so we can ensure next time that the board is actually damaged.
Thanks.
Please and please, test it wuth a pic16f877a. It sure did not work with one of those. Plleeeeaassee

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

aerostar wrote:
DavidA wrote:Please let me state, this is why we do these checks, next time can you please follow the instructions we set out so we can ensure next time that the board is actually damaged.
Thanks.
Please and please, test it wuth a pic16f877a. It sure did not work with one of those. Plleeeeaassee
There was no output with a pic16fb77a. I am sure of it. please

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

aerostar wrote:
aerostar wrote:
Thanks.
There was no output with a pic16f877a. I am sure of it. please
Last edited by aerostar on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

Enamul wrote:I see but why he was saying that the board can't detect chip then..strange :!:
The PIC16f877a I sent with the unit is fried did u test it? it DOES NOT ACCEPT codes!

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Post by DavidA »

Hello,

Regardless of whether the chip is fried or not, the case in point is that the board is fine. My colleague Ben who has your board is off today, so you may have to wait for a reply.

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

Regardless of whether the chip is fried or not, the case in point is that the board is fine. My colleague Ben who has your board is off today, so you may have to wait for a reply.
ok

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

The chips had been fried, probably due to back EMF from your motor. Are you using protection diodes across the motor windings?

The board however was in full working order which is why I returned it to you with a new 16F88 device inserted.

This page seems to offer some good suggestions for protecting your stepper motor circuit.
http://opend.co.za/tutorials/steptut1.htm

aerostar

Post by aerostar »

Benj wrote:Hello,

The chips had been fried, probably due to back EMF from your motor. Are you using protection diodes across the motor windings?

The board however was in full working order which is why I returned it to you with a new 16F88 device inserted.

This page seems to offer some good suggestions for protecting your stepper motor circuit.
http://opend.co.za/tutorials/steptut1.htm
Thanks a million. got my board back. My bad. I should listen to simple instruction next time. So Sorry about that. Thanks for the link.