PikLab

For E-blocks user to discuss using E-blocks and programming for them.

Moderators: Benj, Mods

KeithSloan

PikLab

Post by KeithSloan »

A member of our Radio Club has pointed me at PikLab for PIC development.

Its like MPLAB but open source see http://piklab.sourceforge.net/.

Anybody know if it can easily be upgraded to support Matrix Multimedia Programs.

How about future support from Matrix Multimedia

Sean
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: PikLab

Post by Sean »

Hello,

The main problem with Piklab is that it is currently in beta testing - there is a warning on the web site.

I have investigated the use of the Piklab-prog utility to allow additional programmers to be used with Flowcode. ICD2 worked well but there were problems with Picstart Plus. Other programmers are listed as being supported but we have not tested them yet.

See the forum topic Flowcode < Using Pickit2 with flowcode: for details on how to use Piklab-prog to provide support for additional programmers.

KeithSloan

Post by KeithSloan »

It would be great if it could be made to work with a EB006-30 USB programmer.

I could then switch from using MPLAB + ppp which is okay, but would like less steps when
programming. I know I could invest in an ICD2 but they are not cheap.

Thanks Keith

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello Keith

It is unlikely that the EB006 will be modified to work with Piklab. This is due to the work that would be needed to modify the PPP USB PICmicros bootloader software would outweigh the potential gain. Also you may have heard the expression "If it aint broke dont fix it".

KeithSloan

Post by KeithSloan »

Ben

As PikLab is open source could it not be changed to run a external program/script to program the pic. That is change PikLab to run ppp as an external program.

Keith

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Benj wrote:It is unlikely that the EB006 will be modified to work with Piklab. This is due to the work that would be needed to modify the PPP USB PICmicros bootloader software would outweigh the potential gain. Also you may have heard the expression "If it aint broke dont fix it".
Basen on Piklabs Beta status and the vast modifications that would be needed to convert the PPP chip on the EB006 we will not be modifying the EB006 to run with Piklab in the near future.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

KeithSloan

Post by KeithSloan »

Maybe I did not explain very well.

But I was thinking of more the other way round. i.e. Change PikLab to work with the ppp program. I sent an email to the address on the web site for PikLab on the lines of getting changes so that PikLab could drive an external program with parameters when programing the PIC, but have yet to hear anything back.

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Its a good idea but again this would be a lot of work and is currently not an area that we are interested in persuing.