rs232

For Flowcode users to discuss projects, flowcharts, and any other issues related to Flowcode 5.
To post in this forum you must have a registered copy of Flowcode 5 or higher.

Moderator: Benj

brandonb

rs232

Post by brandonb »

was wondering if anyone was game for helping me out with rs232 pic to pic communication... i have not used comm before and know nothing about it, the things i would like to do is obviously send information between micros but what info can i send? i see i can send a string, i guess what i could do here is have the pic output a signal before the message is sent to the other micro to get ready to receive it, then i can print the string variable on lcd with the receiving pic, for some reason i dont think its gonna be this simple :lol: .... it appears i can send a string varible number but i cant convert it to a = variable to use on the receiving chip as a decision.... what about crystal speeds and baud rates? how could i use an interrupt to let the receiving chip know to look for a message, any way maybe you guys can make some sense out of this and shoot me a few good links or flowcharts so i can ask better questions :oops:

DavidA
Matrix Staff

Re: rs232

Post by DavidA »

Dont know if it will be of any help but I did a very basic article a long while back which has an example of sending rs232 data between two pics, dont know whether you could use that as a starting point:

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/resourc ... php?id=382

brandonb

Post by brandonb »

thanks david,it seems rs232 is just too slow for my application, what is the fastest protocol for pic to pic comm that would be comfortable to use since im new to this

Benj
Matrix Staff

Post by Benj »

Hello,

SPI is generally the fastest form of on board communication with clock speeds running up to MHz. If you are going off board then maybe CAN would be an option for noise rejection etc.